Mitsubishi J2M-3 Raiden, Tamiya 1/48

Started by Jaime Carreon · 24 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Mitsubishi J2M, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 1 year, 6 months ago:

This one started out as a result of our model club's Shelf of Doom build, which started a year ago as a way to get some lingering projects done. My original one is still in the box, but this one popped up when one of our members offered it to anyone who was interested. It had been built by a third modeler who decided to get out of the hobby and passed a bunch of kits and semi built models to the club member. No one else wanted it, so being a s****r for misfit models, I held up my hand and ended up with it. I took it home and promptly forgot about it.

A few weeks ago, an email arrived reminding us the deadline for the SOD build was coming up. I had just finished the B-52, and Jack was in a plastic tote upon which sat the B-52 box. It was already partially built, so I figured it would be a nice weekend project, so I pulled it out and dived in. What could possibly go wrong?

In the tote was the model, an Aeromaster decal sheet, an Eduard PE set, a nice reference book, two Squadron vac canopies a box of Falcon vac canopies for nearly every Japanese airplane ever built, and several small plastic boxes with various pieces parts inside. The seams were already filled, the cockpit was nicely done and I figured this would go quickly. Until...

Most of the panel lines were wiped out, so they had to be redone. I used the kit instruction sheet as a guide to redo those. Vents behind the engine and shell ejector chutes in the wings were drilled out, but not all of them. That was another interesting evening spent opening those up. The deck behind the cockpit had been removed and replaced with styrene sheet, so the radio behind the pilot seat was missing. The beam from the top of the seat headrest to the aft cockpit bulkhead was a PE part, which I managed to get bent and installed with no problems until I noticed that the headrest was slightly offset to starboard. That and the additional height of the styrene deck meant the canopy didn't quite fit.

I originally intended to use one of the vac canopies, but the kit part was really well done and amazingly clear, so i decided to use it. It's molded in the closed position, but all the cockpit detail is quite visible through it. It took some sanding and finagling to get it to fit, but in the end I think it was the right choice.

The elevators had been cut free, so I reinstalled them in a slightly drooped position, which matched the position of the stick in the cockpit.

After all the touchups, it was off to paint. I masked off and painted the yellow leading edges and tail stripe, followed by the black anti glare panel. After drying overnight, I shot the gray undersides, and after another overnight sprayed the green uppers today. I'll let that sit for a bit, then start getting decals on. The kit wheel wells had been ground out and replaced by scratchbuilt bulkheads. It was very nicely done, but the mounting lugs to the landing gear struts were also removed, so mounting the gear is going to be an interesting session of possible four letter metaphors.

Stay tuned...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great that you decided to tackle and finish this, my friend @jetmex! The previous owner had a lot of "extras" included!
    Looking super so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great to see you are finishing this one, Jasime @jetmex
    Nice progressing at this moment.

• Profile Photo

Spent the afternoon doing decals. Would have gone much faster had the white surrounds to the hinomarus not been printed as a separate decal. Don't know why they do that, it's just as annoying as leaving the red centers out of the RAF roundels...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Jaime, @jetmex
    Looks like you are knocking this one out of the park, and in record time. I don't like those style of decals either. Thanks for starting another one.

• Profile Photo

Decals are done and clear coats have been sprayed. He's going the the club meeting like this tonight, then I have to work out how to mount the landing gear. While attempting to bend it, I launched a PE strut torque link into the carpet monster's maw this morning, and the original owner had already trimmed off the plastic ones. A raid to the junk box may be in order. More surprises? Stay tuned and find out!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking fantastic, my friend @jetmex!
    Pity about the torque link, I am sure you'll figure it out.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Nice work on this. Jack decals are rare as hen’s teeth today.

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, Jaime @jetmex
    She will definitely draw attention at your club meeting.

• Profile Photo

Very positive response at the meeting last night. I got extra kudos and a good laugh out of mentioning that my shelf of doom project was once someone else's shelf of doom project! I did get the propeller done, it looks much better with that installed!

Working on the landing gear now. The original owner chopped and modified the landing gear quite a bit and now I have to rebuild parts of it and figure out how to get it mounted. While installing the PE on the gear doors, a little too much CA appears to have been used, which turned one of the inboard doors into a little plastic blob with PE attached. But, as a licensed aircraft mechanic, I should be able to figure it out. Or not...:-)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Well done, Jaime (@jetmex). I have always thought this plane looked really cool and I have a couple in the stash.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 6 months ago:

This definitely qualifies as a "Great Save" @jetmex.

• Profile Photo

Well done indeed, my friend @jetmex!

• Profile Photo

Always nice to receive kudos, Jaime @georgeswork

• Profile Photo

Spent an interesting evening last night with landing gear struts. As I painted them, I noticed one was quite a bit shorter than the other because the rectangular tab (the part that is supposed to glue into the missing lugs in the wing) at the upper end had been removed. Some sheet styrene, hot plastic cement and a lot of trimming and filing took care of that. It looks a little weird, but should work ok. Paint and oily wheel wells cover a multitude of sins. I think I have the gear doors in good shape now. Haven't dived into the junk box for torque links yet, but am considering just leaving them off. I don't think anyone would notice...I'll work on getting some more pics tonight.