Nakajima B6N2 Tenzan (Jill) 1/48th Hasegawa

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 89 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Happy to see the interior will remain very visible under all that glass Chuck (@uscusn)!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

What's nice is the canopy is crystal clear, even with all the framing you will be able to see some of the details. Still it would've been nice to have the option to open the panels.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

It's remarkable to see just how clear all those glass part are. Looks good Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I am a closed canopies guy, so I absolutely love what I see here, Chuck! Your splendid cockpit will neither be hidden nor distorted by the non thick and super clear canopy. It will just be protected by dust 🙂
    Your Jill looks amazing!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hey Spiros, I like if all possible to pose the canopies open. What's the use of doing all the work in the cockpit and you can't see it very well? Sure medium bombers such as the Invader for instance have closed cockpits which is normal on multi-engine aircraft. Still those aircraft have larger canopies despite the panels and can see into it a bit more then let say a Jill or similar bomber of the type.

• Profile Photo

With the canopy attached time to mask it off. I will be using Dead Designs mask set for this project.

First with lower aiming window.

Then masked off the wheels.

It took a couple of hours to do the whole canopy. Lots of glass.

Once the masking process is completed. The Interior color is then airbrushed over the framing.

The under surfaces have been pre shaded. As well as the outer wing panels.

Then IJN Grey was airbrushed over the undersurfaces and gear doors.

Next the Grey was masked off to paint the engine cowling Blue Black. Damp cotton was stuffed into the engine opening as well.

Mission Models acrylic Blue Black was then airbrushed over the cowling upper and lower surfaces.

With the left over paint. I pre shaded the upper surfaces.

Next up the leading edges of the wings painted yellow and then apply Nakajima Green over the top surfaces.

More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

As always a massive progress is felt with the masks on and the paint in progress. (I'm sure you already discovered it Chuck (@uscusn), bit one of the masks has lifted)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Massive progress indeed, looking great , Chuck @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Chuck, @uscusn
    Wow ! You have definitely been a busy man with all that masking... This is one plane that I can see where having a dedicated masking set would pay off handsomely. Otherwise a person would be there quite a long while masking away on all the tiny glass panels.

The paint work looks very good. I will be looking forward to seeing the next installment. Keep it up my friend. It won't be much longer and you can call this one done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik, yes that one piece of masking kept popping up but before painting the final color I went over it again and it stayed down as I airbrushed the Dk Green.
    Thanks Spiros, more to come.
    Yes Louis, it was more tedious than masking the Val and the Ju-188. Still the Betty has the prize as the most agonizing to mask so far.

• Profile Photo

The wings are masked off to paint yellow ID on the leading edge of the wings. Including the outer wing panels.

The tape is removed. Taking some of the paint with it. Unusual for Tamiya tape to do that.

Now to mask off the Yellow leading edges and the cowl.

Now to apply Gunze Nakajima Green over the top, first edging around the cowling. Then under the horizontal stabs. Free handing the demarcation line. To the trailing edge of the wings.

Next over the top surfaces.

Then over the outer wing panels. The Gunze leaves a semi-gloss finish when it dries.

While removing the masks, some of the blue black came off with the tape. Will take advantage in using this as part of the weathering and paint chipping.

Also removed the tape on the leading edges,

Gloss clear coat applied after some touch up was taken care of. Using Pledge (Future).

Next up decal time...more to follow

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Good idea to use the lifted paint as part of the chipping/weathering. It looks a lot closer to the line with all that paint.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, it does look more realistic when some is lifted up with the tape. It looks random. The larger areas are touched up to make it a bit more realistic. Other wise a bit of silver pencil on the exposed plastic will work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice paintjob, Chuck @uscusn!
    I agree with Eric too, it's great to use the lifted paint as part of the weathering process.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, more effective especially on Japanese schemes.