Nakajima Ki-115 Tsurugi (剣, ”Sabre”), Eduard, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 64 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Eduard, Empire of Japan, Ki-115, Tsurugi
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Main filling and sanding finished. As I said, quite a bit was required at some spots, but it could be my fault.

Glued the flaps in place.

Glued the headrest, the three frames behind it, the front top additional intake and the starboard side oil cooler (I think it is oil cooler anyway, as it sports a nice PE mesh at its front).

Glued the wheels, which are exquisite - just have a look! - and the tail skid, which is extremely skinny and disintegrates by just spelling its name.

Also glued the four tiny hooks at the bomb bay.

Take a look at this crazy plane's circular cross section - for easy construction - fuselage!

All the best EoJ GB!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Coming along nicely and fast Spiros. I assume the plane wore a simple dark green camouflage or are you considering a “what-if” scheme?

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Very different undercarriage - but then again not designed to land. A disaster if you get engine failure or some other tech fault that might make you turn back, after you've got rid of the undercart, and with a massive bomb irreversibly connected to the plane! I know returning without completing the mission was not looked upon well, but many aircraft did suffer these failures and the pilot lived to carry out their deadly mission another day. As you say, Spiros, dark times.

• Profile Photo

Hi Pedro @holzhamer!

By studying existing photos, which are rare, like the ones below, the planes seem to wore three "progressing level" camos. Of the 104 or 105 build, most exited the Nakajima factory in NMF with solid red Hinomarus (let's call it "first" level camo), a few were NMF with green bordered wing top and fuselage Hinomarus ("second" level camo), obviously to assist the green over grey camo to be applied at the field, and a few seem to have their top (at least) green colour already applied ('third" level). All had black antiglare panels. No yellow wing bands seem to be painted.

I lean towards the first level camo, as it seems to be sported by the test planes. It is undertood, by the nature of the thing, that steel fuselage panels were left untreated. Untreatment is also true for the wings, that seem to be (and read at a review that they were) made of aluminum. This is obvious from the pics of the surviving example at PIMA Air and Space museum (https://pimaair.org/museum-aircraft/nakajima-ki-115/). Of interest is that this survivor sports yellow wing identification bands...

Anyways...the more you dig the more you find...

All the best, my friend! Thanks for the supportive commenting!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Paul @yellow10! Indeed, strange (crazy!) plane of strange (dark) times.
    Cheers, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Spiros, the NMF option is the one I would build too. Much more interesting than the usual (and boring) green over grey. What strikes me even more strange is the fact of Japanese designers using steel & alloys instead of wood or other non strategic raw materials in a one shot plane

• Profile Photo

Hello Pedro @holzhamer! The use of wood seems to have been limited to the inside. I might have read that wood was used in the tail, however the Pima museum pics show a rusted tail, obviously made of steel. A wooden tail wouldn't be out of place at this amazing (and/or amazingly crazy) plane.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Interesting subject! Coming along nicely.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great work, Spiros @fiveten. I didn't know this plane was ever released in 1/48. I have a kit for the Tsurugi in 1/72. The reading I have done on this plane indicated that it started as a mix of metal and wood, and as the supply of metal diminished, more and more of the plane became wood. I also read that this plane, although designed for pilots with limited flying skills, was really tough to fly. I guess the shelf-life of the pilots of this plane was relatively short. Looking forward to seeing the completion of the build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg @gkittinger!

Thanks George @gblair! Eduard released it in late 2003/early 2004, and it was advertised quite a bit here in Europe (!), epitomizing Eduard's commitment to bring some quality fresh air to the modeling world.

All info I could source converges with what you've mentioned above. I even read that not only the MLG was jettisoned for better fight characteristics, but also it would be salvaged to be used in the production line...(reusable MLG, disposable all the rest, pilot included).

As for my progress, tonight I finished the filling/sanding session, taking this bird slowly to the paint shop.

All the best!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Judging by the looks of things, you will be painting your Ki-115 very soon. Like the others have mentioned, I think it will look best in the color scheme you have picked out. I'm looking forward to your next installment. You definitely have been very busy my friend. Looking good !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great progress - the airbrush is near! Looking forward to seeing this very different plane crossing the finishing line - no pressure 🙂

• Profile Photo

Instructions recommend silver allover, with burned metal plate at the exhaust area and open bomb bay. However, fuselage was unpainted steel, wings unpainted aluminum and tail section (molded as wooden structure in the kit) aluminumish-silverish painted on. This will be interesting, @airbum.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Spiros you're an early bird too eh? 5:30 here on the East coast. Looking good, I am wondering too why one wouldn't make such a disposable thing out of wood. They were probably short of that too.