RS Models 1/48 Manshu Ki-79.

Started by John Healy · 31 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 5 months ago:

The Ki-79 is now ready for paint. The problem is that I just realized that I’m out of Tamiya AS-12 bare metal for the base coat, and I’m also waiting for some “O” rings to arrive in the mail for my Paasche Talon. I’m also going to be away from my spray booth for a couple of weeks. Anyways, thanks for looking and it should be finished around Christmas.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looking really nice, John @j-healy!
    Cannot wait to see her painted!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Great to see it ready for the paint.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

John, @j-healy
    It's looking good and like the others have stated, I'll be watching for your next installment once you get your needed supplies on hand.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I hate it when that happens - actually , when both of those things happen (out of paint and away from the spray booth for extended periods of time)! Looking good... I have the Ki-27 version and am itching to build, but I've built a bunch of Japanese single-engined AC lately, and I really want to get to one or two twins...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

This is great. I was wondering what the quality of this kit was, and now I see it's very good.

Another bit of inspiration. Thanks much for that @j-healy.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 4 months ago:

It’s not a bad little model, Tom. I’m going to spray the mottling on it today. This should be the last completion for 2020.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

The silver paint brings the whole plane together nicely. Should be doable to get it finished in 2020.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

John, @j-healy

I'll echo what Erik said... The silver looks very nice, and it's almost as shame to cover it up with green camouflage splotches. But I'm sure it will be even more stunning once completed. If things go well for you, it should be possible to finish it up by the end of 2020.

• Profile Photo

RS suggests using “IJA Black Green”. I used some leftover Xtracolor RAF dark green with a touch of gloss black added to it as a substitute. After looking at Nick Millman’s site and studying photos of late war Japanese planes, it’s obvious that their greens were all over the spectrum. I just realized that I forgot the yellow leading edges on the wings. I’ll get to that on Saturday. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you guys!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I agree, Louis! I prefer clean airplanes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

John, @j-healy
    You can't beat Nick Millman's website, as it is a treasure trove of information. He has probably forgotten more about the subject that I ever knew... The dark green looks very good, just as I thought it would. The Japanese used all sorts of various greens, especially towards the end of the War, just as you mentioned.

As far as clean airplanes, that's why I decided not to install the drop tanks, or go crazy with weathering the 1/32 scale Hasegawa Ki-44 I recently finished. In hindsight, I should go back and add some minimal exhaust staining, and add a few chips to the propeller spinner and a few small ones along the leading edge of the wings on the IFF yellow parts. If I do this, it will be minimal though, just enough to be visible and not overdone.

Merry Christmas to you too !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

John @j-healy, this is some amazing progress!
    I loved your black green research!
    And it indeed is such a pity to paint over that silver, but what can you do?
    Waiting for this beauty to come along!

• Profile Photo

I’ll finish this up tommorow and post it on the main page. Nav lights, pastels, etc...Fun kit. Thanks for watching!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great job, John @j-healy!
    Looking forward to see it in the headlines!