Tamiya 1/48 Mitsubishi G4M1 "Betty"

Started by Colin Gomez · 37 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Another quick update as painting progresses. I spent most of the day masking. I forgot to take pics before spraying on the green shades this evening. Anyway, it is worth seeing the paintwork at this stage for the remarkably dark, dull and uniform look to the Tamiya XF-11 shades before they have cured. I did, in fact, use three quite different shades, XF-11, XF-11 + XF-3 and XF-11 + XF-1. Doing the marbled/mottled variation was tricky when the colors tended to flatten out when sprayed fresh. The green segments looked almost black while airbrushing. I know from doing the Red Brown stage that I just have to wait a bit (as long as overnight) for the tonal variation to become visible. Just one more example of having learned patience in this hobby so as not to start "correcting" things too soon.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Your paint work is looking splendid. These have been some fantastic updates. You had a very productive weekend... Take care.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This is going to be a super Betty, Colin! You do a splendid job!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Looking great - love these masked pictures of the process!

Might I ask what you do to keep the airbrush happy? - I find that mine does clog rather easily with XF-paints, and I usually have to take it apart by each colorchange. I have tried IPA and thinners, but somehow it does not work well for me.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis, Spiros and Erik. This has indeed been a productive weekend. Mostly things have come off well with only the usual touch-ups and fixes to do. More on that, below. To answer your question, Erik, I find Tamiya acrylics well-behaved as long as I thin them properly. It is a fine balance, and sometimes I have to stop and partly strip and clean the airbrush in the middle of a session. I use Windex to clean it. I may blow a bit through the brush between different colors as I go, being careful not to leave any Windex residue that might mix with the next coat. Windex really melts away Tamiya paint and has no unpleasant smell. I sometimes also clear the brush after the Windex by spraying a bit of de-mineralized water (I have a reverse osmosis water system for my home so I use that tap water). BTW, I also use Testor's Spray Booth vented outside and a cleaning jar to keep environmental pollution to an absolute minimum. As for thinning, I use at least 50/50 Tamiya Thinner to Paint, sometimes more like 60/40. I also add 4-5 drops of Acrylic Retarder to a normal paint session with half a thimble full of paint (see pic for what Retarder looks like if you are not familiar with it). I do a visual test on the mixed paint as shown in the pic by tilting up the bottle with sunlight showing through. The paint solution shouldn't cling to the bottom too much as it flows down with gravity in a second or two. Too much sticky paint on the bottom equals a quickly clogged airbrush! I spray between 12 and 18 PSI for Tamiya. Less pressure obviously for finer mottling or detail work. I suppose its worth mentioning that I use an Iwata Eclipse gravity feed airbrush, I also have a Venturi feed Iwata but it clogs and spatters more with acrylics. I hope this helps. Pardon the detail, but it is what I always appreciate receiving.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here is an update, next day, on the camo. As expected, the Tamiya paint cured to a much brighter color and the color variation came through well. The variation is somewhat visible in the pics but more obvious with the lighter brown color. I will now do free hand touch-ups on the camo. Specifically, there are two or three places where my masking technique left gaps between the green and brown (see fourth pic) - but this is easy to fix now with the airbrush. I will also do some feathering in the transition between the underside and topside colors. BTW, I don't know about your experience, but I generally find it impossible to mask underneath well enough while also keeping the masks loose for feathering. Anyway, easy to fix now with patience.

Generally, I am happy with the base effects for weathering and the tones, which I hope you can see in the pics. There is much more weathering work to come when I get to the gloss coat and oil wash stages. As I said, I will also do some light chipping, post paint work. Removal of the canopy to finish the cockpit detail and glue it down will precede the gloss coat. At this stage, I also want to do the anti-glare panel, which extends inside the the windscreen with the clear parts removed. Quite a fiddly business managing the transparencies with the Betty but I am satisfied with my planned approach.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks really good Colin @coling. Weathering base effects are noticeable.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

@coling thank you, that is a great tutorial - I will print it out and be off to my local kit-pusher to get some retarder!

The work on your build is amazing - great stuff!

• Profile Photo

I'll chime in and echo the comments that were made above... Well done, and thanks for the explanation of what you use to keep the spattering and clogging down to a minimum. Your G4M is looking great !

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis, Spiros and Erik. I decided to do the anti-glare panels and some touch-ups next. just a single pic as I go.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great! Folloing along, Colin @coling!

• Profile Photo

@coling, a single picture is quite OK - I am fortunate to have a few idle moments at work where I just monitor the frequency, and a new pictureupdate now and then is just great for that! Keep them comin'

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your support, Spiros and Erik! This is the stage where I can get impatient to finish but where patience is very important. Here is the latest.

I have airbrushed the anti-glare panels and retouched the demarcation lines between colors on the fuselage. As I mentioned, the original masking left some ragged lines. These are now feathered and parts of the brown and green edges fixed. I also had to redo some work on the engine anti-glare panels but all is well now. Very fiddly work but well worth doing. I have also fitted the port flap to check the camo line. Some problems with the starboard flap as it was too tight and one tooth broke off. Currently under repair but no sweat!

Next stage in progress is masking for the hinomarus. Since my Tamiya tape strips are too narrow for the size of the circle, I attached added a green masking tape layer above to hold the strips together. BTW, I don't use the green tape directly on the paint as it can damage it. I cut the circles with my Olfa compass cutter (shown) and kept the center bit (colored red) to position the hinomaru accurately like a decal. I then fit the mask around that to make sure it is positioned accurately. I have never made masks for markings before, so I hope this turns out. It's a pretty clean cut with the Olfa cutter but not as perfect as laser cut masks. I will press down the mask fully just before painting and also extend the masks with paper and Tamiya tape to prevent overspray. Fingers crossed.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks great so far, @coling!
    Eagerly waiting for the Hinomarus.

• Profile Photo

Hello Colin,
    Any updates on the G4M ? In the last pictures it looked as if you might have if completed soon. Your camouflage painting work looks great too. I will use this as a reference for when I finally get to finish mine.