Tamiya 1/48 Mitsubishi G4M1 "Betty"

Started by Colin Gomez · 37 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Here is the latest update on the Betty. I have had some nerve wracking experiences. I tried spraying on the Hinomarus with homemade masks over my Tamiya gloss coat. Very disappointing results. As pictures show, I ended up with some ugly leakage around the mask of the white background layer I used. I won't be spraying on any more markings any time soon! Using acrylics thinned to my normal standard makes the paint too thin and is almost guaranteed to lift the mask before it dries (exactly as I feared). I took major precautions to avoid both mask leakage and paint damage from the tape but still had the illustrated problems to fix. Anyway, I proceeded to sand away the excess and repaint with good success. I decided to use the kit decals over top of the painted hino on the port wing and straight onto the fuselage. The starboard wing hino is still painted on since it looked fine and that one Tamiya decal shredded. All went very well and the two wing markings look identical in shade. All the other kit decals, including tail numbers and stripes also went down perfectly.
    From then on it has been a layering of chipping paint stressing effects under matt coatings. I find a matt coat along with a careful oil pin wash help tone down the chipped areas and blend them in realistically. I have proceeded very carefully with this and erased some overdone work as I went with plastic polish. I have used a silver pencil and tiny flecks of thinned Rub n Buff to get the subtlest effect I can. I don't want my Betty too look too chipped up as particular examples in photos vary a lot in weathering. I find chipping can ruin the look of a model unless done exactly right. In general, I want a scratched and scuffed look first and limited chipping in logical places. I decided to do most wear around the engines as close up photos of G4Ms show this clearly in distinct patterns clearly caused by prop wash. The pics of the model don't show up all the stressed, faded and chipped effect I am working on. There is also some more to be done, but I am happy so far. BTW, pics 1-3 show the hino problem, pics 4-6 show the repaired and decaled model and pics 7-13 show the current state with weathering.

So, I am almost ready to remove the canopy, complete the interior and re-glue the canopy permanently before removing the masks. I hesitated to do an update when it looked like so little apparent progress but it has actually been a lot of work to get it this close to the finish line. Wish me luck. I'll probably need it.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Colin @coling!
    Your final shots of the Betty show that your result is splendid!
    Great that you went your way and overcome those difficulties.
    If you asked me, I love seeing pic coverage of dire situations and remedial actions!
    Waiting eagerly for your progress; your Betty looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hello Colin, @coling
    Don't feel bad as I too have had problems with using home made masks and paint bleeding underneath. A while ago, I had this happen to my Ki-27's that I was building. Nothing quite ruins your day as when you are at the final stages and suffer a set back like this.

I ended up doing the same thing and used the kit decals to save the day... in the end you prevailed and that's what counts. I am eager to see what your next installment has for us... Spiros is right on with his very last statement... it is indeed fantastic !

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros and Louis for your support as I try to get this one finished. It's really helpful to feel you are anticipating something worthwhile. I can now report meaningful visible progress on the Betty. Over the last couple of days, I opened up the canopy and nose cone, finished painting the interior black of the anti-glare panel and attached the radio trapeze. I had a mishap with the delicate framework for the small radio in spite of planning and careful handling, but I repaired everything before attaching it permanently. BTW, If I ever do another Betty or similar green house style canopy on a bomber, I will definitely finish the cockpit and seal it all up for good before external painting. It has just been too much work to remove the canopy afterwards. I was concerned about things coming lose and dust inside but it just isn't worth it to worry about that stuff. Live and learn.

Anyway, the canopy masks came off cleanly and I cleaned all panels up with plastic polish and a lint free cloth. Very shiny now (almost too shiny for pics!). The interior looks OK and is easily seen in detail. I must paint the edges of the the access panel frame with interior green but that will come last.

I will have to redo some of the ribs on the nose cone slightly. For that, I have prepared my usual painted decal strips (seen in pics next to landing gear and flaps).

I am waiting for the painted decal strips to cure overnight before application as well as the recently matt-coated flaps. Tomorrow will be the final stages (depending on how that goes). I never count my chickens. BTW, Some of these pics show better than earlier my cautious approach to chipping, which so far looks right to me in photos. I am gradually adding bits here and there with a silver Prismacolor pencil and Rub n Buff.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This is a gorgeous Betty, Colin @coling!
    Evcerything comes along nicely, cockpit and weathering looking spectacular!
    She is slowly approaching the finish line, I can imagine...

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros! It's nearly done now. I think I will hold off on updates until I can post it as completed. The gear, props and flaps are on. I will add final details like antennas over the next couple of days before posting the finished model. It think it will be a bit tedious for others to document all that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

It will be nice to see your Betty finished, Colin @coling!

So we are kept at a nice eager wait!

I take pics all along my small progress steps with my cellphone; it's fun too!

Even funnier when in kits like the Jake the process is longer and I end up with around 140 posts so far! Best comment I have received was from my friend Bill @billkoppos: "Keep on keepin on" ! Loved it and laughed a lot! (Thanks again, Bill!).

Waiting to see your Betty having crossed the finish line, my friend!