Tamiya´s Seiran

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 86 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Aichi Seiran, Empire of Japan GB, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Jumping into what is one of the largest GB around and already with several models completed, I ended up deciding to drop my initial idea for a model, Hasegawa A6M2, and opt to go ahead with one of the last Japanese designs in WW2, the Aichi Seiran, a plane that bores several singularities on its own.

The Seiran was designed to be launched from submarines and having floats meant that they could perform their mission and be reloaded and stored back inside the huge hangars the I-400 class submarines displayed. In fact these subs were the biggest submarines carriers of WW2.

To fit inside the big tubular hangars of the I-400 the Seiran had detachable wings, folding mechanism for the top of tail section and removable floaters. The ground crew could assemble the entire airframe in just 4 minutes apparently.

Their first mission was originally to bomb the western coast of the USA, but the strategic bombing of the Panama Canal was in fact the mission destination. In the end, considering Japan’s dire situation in the final months of the war, the submarine flotilla was diverted to yet another target, the Ulithi Atoll, where the allied invasion fleet was gathering. Armistice came before the submarines arrived there, so the Seiran never got its battle debut.

I have this kit since it came to the market, back in 1997 according to Scalemates, and somewhere in the last 23 years I painted the insides with Aeromaster Mitsubishi green

and assembled the floats and wing structure.

Besides doing a better job hiding those big holes inside the the cockpit walls

, all the improvement I plan to do is adding seat belts and some scratch refinements. I also started adding some riveting , using solely the box illustration for it. The idea is not to do a perfect replica of the riveting, merely a suggestion of them as a feature. Here are a couple of photos of its cockpit too bad the kit only offers a fully closed canopy .

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Pedro,
    Welcome to the Empire of Japan group build. You picked a good one here ! They strive for accuracy at the Smithsonian, so I think you are safe to use those pictures as a reference. It looks like you are off to a good start too.

Well done, especially for your first post. Count me in to watch this one... It's going to be good.

Thanks for joining us my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the welcome word Louis! I’m still waiting for the masks to arrive (no idea how long that will take given current situation) and also some new paint. Still a lot can be done in the meantime.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Nice one Pedro. Japanese clear parts are a nightmare. I've been buying masks lately

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Pedro, that is a fantastic start! You are off to a great build and I cannot wait to see it going on. I've got the same to build, so I will follow with anticipation. I love your detailed presentation.
    all the best!

• Profile Photo

George, couldn’t agree more on the subject of masks usefulness when it comes to Japanese canopies. I ordered 2 sets of masks, one for the canopy, from Eduard Kabuki tape, and another for the markings, this one fr9m Dead Design, a complete unknown brand to me. I think these are vinyl type.

Spiros, thanks for encouragement words, I had no idea you were thinking about this plane for another build here. That means what, 3 builds? That must be a record surely 🙂

• Profile Photo

Finished my first step in the build, the riveting.

As I said before, it’s not accurate or pretend to be as such, still I find it pleasing and should payoff at the weathering phase. Applied some gouache black paint in some areas just to see how it looks... seen better but also seen worse 🙂

Going into the cockpit now and some details on the fuselage that need to be made before gluing the whole thing.

Another thing that would improve the look of this kit would be to replace the wingtip signal lens.

I remember Eriks work on his seemingly endless string of 109 builds and they look fantastic, just not sure if I can match such finesse, or worse, ending up trashing the kit.

Looking at the kit I think it’s the most, or at least one of the most, beautiful Japanese WW2 planes.

A pure racer.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Hi Pedro! Great progress! I find your riveting a nice idea. I cannot comment about accuracy, but, for me, "strict rivet counting a-la Penlight Police" is not always the best way to go. Rather, the aim is to create the (illusion-ish?) feeling to viewer that what he sees is the plane itself - just smaller. That of course entails acuracy, but also "allows" the modeler to slightly add some extra something (like your rivets) to reach the above goal. Again, it's personal and sorry for my babbling.

The Seiran is a beauty, a real racer indeed.

All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Spiros!

Anyway here goes another small update.
    Still waiting for the mask sets ordered but luckily I remembered having a Maketar masks for the Japanese meatballs, so I went ahead and painted main national insignia and other small warning areas.

Also did some work on the cockpit (I’ll leave this for a later update) and started the dolly that will provides a nice bed for a water based plane outside its habitat 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Painted Hinomarus are always better than the best decals. Beautiful result, Pedro!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That looks really fast! - and what a treat with painted markings. A joy to follow this build!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Erik, thanks for stopping by. This plane does look like a speed racer right?

Well just finished the main paint work on the floaters, just a couple of details to add, a minor paint repair and weathering. All that’s missing is the plane on top of them:-)

I’m using marbling as preshade overall. Combining this technique with some aluminium undercoat meant for chipping is my first time, and judging by what I got in the floaters, it’s doable.

Before jumping into that, I first experimented on how to marble for the grey blue of the under surfaces

and especially for the very dull dark green typical of Japanese navy planes .

In both cases I used black, complete for the lower areas, and in squiggles over the bare grey plastic for the green areas. Reckon I got a very interesting effect for both...

The dolly is also going fast, it will be completed very soon. Then it’s cockpit work time again!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is some amazing work on display right here ! The effects of your pre-shading / marbling work is outstanding. I also like how you have decided to spray on the "meat balls". Well done my friend... Thanks for the updates.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Marbling looks great Pedro!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@holzhamer - not just stopping by, but following with interest. 🙂

The marbling and chipping looks great - keep up the good work Pedro!