Tamiya´s Seiran

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 86 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Aichi Seiran, Empire of Japan GB, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you Erik, Spiros, Chuck and Colin. The fact that you guys like this journey is an absolute pleasure for me.

This afternoon I spent it doing some retouching and varnish coats. I removed the canopy masks and when I was about to glue both floaters Mr. Murphy came around and the drying varnish in one of the sides of right floater came in contact with some paper, ruining the paint surface, so there you have it... my second boo boo with the Seiran

Nothing that can’t be solved thankfully!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

@holzhamer, we like it because it is great and very informative. And I suspect the small papercontact has already been mended 🙂

I admit as one 109aholic amongst many that I look at that intake and think messerschmitt each and every time. (I have ordered a set of wings with wheels for the one in my stash - itching. . . )

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

@airbum
    Erik, the blemish is not yet mended, after all the post was done as my afternoon work was completed, but I plan having it back in shape this weekend 😉 thanks again, and please build that conversion set, I would love seeing that one made

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Your Seiran looks splendid, Pedro!
    Small or not so small blemishes fixing is the story of my life...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@fiveten - Spiros my friend trust me you are not alone ahah, there’s hardly a model in my cabinet display that has been built without self made blemishes.

So she is almost completed!

Still to add: Aerials; exhaust stacks; bomb pylons and some additional weathering on the floaters and elsewhere and a final matt varnish coat over those parts

One thing I tried here was doing the exhaust stains with chalk powder, or at least tried in a more serious way and I like the result tbh.
    Should wrapped her in the next few days, shall post on the complete model at headlines. Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That's magnificent, Pedro @holzhamer!
    Such a beautiful model of such a beautiful plane!
    Dolly a work of art, too.
    Pastel chalks look great. I use them too and find them very handy.
    I bet it won't be too long before this beauty appears at the headlines!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    This has been a remarkable build. I will definitely be using it as a reference when it comes time to build the one I have in my stash. I have used chalks in the past to replicate exhaust stains. It works very well using a moistened Q-tip as an applicator. The effects are even more pronounced when you are using a dark exhaust stain over a lighter surface, such as the underside of a Heinkel 111 bomber or something of that nature.

Thanks for posting this epic journal for all of us to enjoy. I suspect this one will appear in the headline section soon...

• Profile Photo
    Glenn Virgo said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Well done Pedro. A proper little gem. Paint and weathering technique on point. It truly is one of the best ones I’ve seen. Fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Fantastic looking model Pedro - to think that a couple of M6A's fit inside a submarine.
    Just a great build in so many ways. Thanks for sharing the progress.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Nice build, paint and weathering!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you all for the kind feedback, really appreciate that. And George is right, imagine the size of the I-400 submarines when their tubular hangars alone were big enough to store 2 or 3 of these babies, even taking in consideration the “Lego” construction method the Seiran had that allowed to disassemble wings, stabilisers, floaters and top side rudder!