Tamiya´s Seiran

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 86 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Aichi Seiran, Empire of Japan GB, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

The masks I ordered a few weeks ago finally arrived yesterday and are already set were needed.

Speaking of masking, for the first time ever I had residual glue from Tamiya tape used in masking the red striped on the floaters

. My best guess is the red paint not being fully cured(?). It’s an easy though annoy fix to mend it.

The dolly also teaches me a lesson... never paint the wood planks before it’s base, in this case that metal hull red structure 🙂

After correcting also this blooper (lots of 1mm tape are going to be used) I will proceed with the oils for that final wood effect and this part of the kit will be wrapped up

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Love the masks, Pedro!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, I just could not face that large green house canopy without them 😉

So while oils take their toll timewise due to their long drying time this forced me to slow the pace in the dolly construction.
    This gives me the opportunity to focus on the interior parts.
    The cockpit is very nice, looks busy yeah though not entirely accurate.
    The IP had a decal to recreate the dials but not only it disintegrated while apllying it but what I could save just silvered like no other IP decal I used before. therefore I decided to scrap the darn thing and used a few airscale dials (those who fit). The rest will be hand made.
    The cockpit green shade is a mix using Real colors Mitsubishi green with black or white. A grey will be added in some parts and gloss black in others.
    A wash will follow plus a few scratch built items. The gunsight in particular will be reworked because it’s very simplistic in detail and comparing with other gunsights around this one is huge!
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo

Hi Pedro.
    This dolly is already a work of art (the Seiran deserves such a work of art to rest upon).
    The airscale dials look unbelievably real.
    Your cockpit cames along greatly.
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Such a realistic dolly You have made - very nice indeed. I'm sure the extra work on the IP will pay of in the well-known @holzhamer style!

• Profile Photo

Hey everyone,
    Just a quick update on the work around the cockpit.
    Trying to get my “artistic” view of the various shades the Seiran cockpit had, particularly in greens.

Still some considerable amount of work to do, some of which I fear will not be visible at all once the whole thing is packed closed 🙁

• Profile Photo

Great looking cockpit, Pedro. Such a shame a good portion of it will be hidden.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Some really excellent work Pedro. Looking good and I look forward to the final reveal.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys! Indeed like most cockpits this one will be to narrow to allow a good view inside at lest bare eye 😉

Not that I advanced that much, been building cables from stretch sprue and creating a bombing aim device that Tamiya-San overlooked, but recall the long drying tone of oils? Well after 4 days I resumed work on the dolly this time to weather the wood planks a bit...and there goes another 2-3 days waiting.

Speaking of oils after seeing a video from Plasto on YouTube where he paints half fuselage of an Hellcat entirely with oils I decided to use this medium to actually paint and not just weathering or wood effects. Decided to try downgrade the deep black used in the pilots IP and randomly applied a mixed dark grey with a blueish tint.

Looks ruff but after a second scrub with a clean and dry brush it evens nicely. Definitely gonna use them more.

Cheers

• Profile Photo

Hi Pedro! This technique with oils looks great.

• Profile Photo

Hey Spiros, thanks but the photo really doesn’t do justice for a good comparison between the first application and the dry swipe.
    Funny how I’ve been using oils for more than a decade but limited them to weathering and washes, forgetting their primary function which is painting. I wouldn’t say they are easy going but oils offer a greater scope for blending and mixing than say acrylics, which are my to go method when it comes to brush paint. Their only issue is the drying time

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hey Pedro ! @holzhamer
    Man the painting work you have done for the cockpit looks amazing ! I'll keep this information in mind when I start another project... I have some Payne's Gray and some Lamp Black oil paints which just might work OK with some RLM 66 if you know what I mean...

Did you use a punch set to remove the individual instrument decals ? They look nice and centered on the IP.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Great progress here - can't wait to see the DB601. . . eehhh Aichi Atsuta engine installed 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Lol Erik @airbum- it’s a pity no engine detail is provided. These twentieth century Tamiya kits are good but lack the extra detail their newest provide. But then again yesterday I saw the reboxed 2020 Seiran and price tag was just about half of their new Spits and 109. I guess you pay what you get right?

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Louis my friend @lgardner- thanks for the feedback. The dials are plain decal, made by a very nice company named Airscale. They do all sort of IP dials and cockpit signs in decal form, across all main scales. Those you see in the photo came from their Luftwaffe set, which besides the authenticity factor are also way too big to fit the dials provided in the plastic. Fortunately a Japanese WW2 set is also made and I’m here waiting for the mailman to bring one to my doorstep 😉 hopefully those will fit nicely eheh