Tamiya´s Seiran

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 86 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Aichi Seiran, Empire of Japan GB, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@holzhamer - just re-read the build here, as my local kit-pusher has a sale, and to quote you;

I remember Eriks work on his seemingly endless string of 109 builds

It is not really all that difficult, as long as you have the bulb in the right place, the filing and sanding is rather easy, just make sure there is sufficient material, and some flush surfaces for the superglue to stick to. Best of luck if you should be trying out this method, I can assure you it gets easier every time - happy modeling

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I love those belt cartridges, Pedro! Also the bombsight!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@airbum Erik, I have total confidence in your advice, it’s my skills I doubt ! ahah.
    I will surely try on a latter kit to build clear lenses, but the Seiran is not the best first choice, simply because the lenses are not a straight edge

And Spiros, thank you for the encouragement words!

Anyway fuselage and wings all in place (drying overnight now).
    Still one last bit to add next to the pilots gunsight before I can glue the 2 piece canopy. Everything else in place and sealed with a semi-Matt varnish coat. Instrument dials have a kristal clear drop to simulate the glass

Unfortunately a small accident became visible after removing the masks of the armoured glass that separes pilot from radio/gunner- some liquid glue slipped underneath the mask and left a big scar on the clear plastic (right side). I believe this was a consequence of the irregular surface of that part and the mask must have pealed up a bit 🙁 oh well perhaps it will be hard to see after the canopy is in place.

The fuselage and wing joint is flawless, no filler is apparently needed. Now comes the nose radiator

• Profile Photo

Hi Pedro @holzhamer.
    This is a masterpiece of a cockpit!
    Also the fuselage/wing joint speaks perfection.
    Armoured glass discrepancy is hardly visible.
    Try spot apply a TINY amount of future, only at the scar (with a 10/0 brush or a toothpick). It might help a bit.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

I see what you mean with the lenses pedro. What I would suggest is that you make a rod that is shaped like the cutout that you can then slide in place, OR you could cut out the entire assembly and make a mask for the clear part, that way you will add depth to the light fairing inner parts! Anyway you choose to do it, paint or clear, I'm confident it will look as sharp as any @holzhamer build - happy modeling my friend!

• Profile Photo

Moving forward with the build, I came to found that the radiator piece is a bit shy in size and needs to be enlarged a bit on the sides

To achieve this I added putty in one side only but still needs some refinement work obviously. Added some tiny details as seen on walks rounds of preserved airplane, namely an escape pipe and a tube running to the radiator inside

. A part that needed some thinning to be a bit more realistic are these slats the smaller one is partially reshaped unlike the bigger brother 🙂

Also completed the pilots gunsight by adding the small black rails on the side

these were made from cut to shape evergreen plastic sheet. Now I can glue the front canopy in place. It’s not much but it’s going there 😉

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer, it is those small details that makes the difference between a good and a great model. I just bought the kit, and will put it on hold to see your result and details here 😀
    Well thought to thin those outlets - will be great!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik, true what you say, often the details and sharpness achieved can give an edge on a finished model. I try to get there in each model, some are easier than others and this one falls in the medium category of work needed. I’m sure you’ll have fun building yours

• Profile Photo

Hi Pedro @holzhamer!
    Totally agree with Erik @airbum. All those small details ooze the effort put at the model, making it really attractive, the viewer wanting to look at it more and more.
    Great progress and looks, my friend!

• Profile Photo

A quick update
    The airframe is almost at painting level. Just a few touch ups to reach there

The “mouth” of that big radiator in now glued and detailed the best I knew and could. Even with prior sanding and adjusting, including adding thin stretched spruce and putty there are still minor gaps to be dealt with. But the fit is much better than it was also considerably thinned these slats that are still unpainted because I’ll need to give them some weathering on the inside surfaces before glueing them

About paints- I realize having had a senior moment when I painted the floaters, completing forgetting that the undersurface camouflage grey came up all the way to the supporting structure.
    As you can see I am re-painting both accordingly

I also changed the initial hue of the underside grey, going from a blueish grey to a more green grey. Apparently I was using a color used by the Japanese Army AF, not the proper color used by the Navy AF. You can see the difference between them, the flap still in the initial coat but the stabilizers already with the new grey green coat

a big thanks for my friend Louis Gardner @lgardner for helping me find what exactly was that grey green color

Finally am working also on the exhaust stacks. These are OOB and I dare not drilling them because the darn things are tiny

after some aluminum base, I applied a very thin layer of hull red. Now I’m moving to oils and pastel to finish them.
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looking very nice

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer

It has been a while since I have stopped by to look at your progress... WOW ! It is looking fantastic, and I'm glad that I could help you with the color choices. The small improvements you have added will definitely set your build apart from the rest. This is the first time that I have seen a coolant drain tube rendered in 1/48 scale. The thinning of the trailing edges of the cooling vents is also a very nice touch. I'll try to start doing that to my builds. It's a night and day difference. And your gun sight... well, it too is very authentic looking. Amazing workmanship is on display right here. Keep it up my friend, keep it up...

• Profile Photo

Hi Pedro!
    This is a truly fantastic work.
    Louis @lgardner said everything above, I can only respectfully agree!
    This is such a great build!

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer What an amazing update - you rock big time on this build! I really have to get mine started one of these days. (the only way I can impress compared to this build may be those darned nav-lights, you take the lead in every other aspect)

I only just skimmed the journal, but failed to catch if the masks were your own design? They do indeed look great. Eagerly awaiting the next update.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the encouragement words gentleman! @lgardner @ fiveten @ airbum
    Erik I am using Eduard masks for the canopy and a mix of Maketar and Dead Design Models masks for the Hinomaru and the tactical numbers and stuff. And making clear lenses would improve the model tremendously, no doubt. I’m hoping to see this when you build your Seiran 😉