Tamiya´s Seiran

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 86 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Aichi Seiran, Empire of Japan GB, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

After a week battling some seams and mainly the yellow wing edge stripes today I managed to paint the under surfaces
    First a black meddling

and then the grey green the green on the upper surfaces will follow quickly. I am considering just how the salt water would change the appearance of both colors because of the floaters, so appreciate any ideas and feedback from you chaps. Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Looks great @holzhamer!
    Regarding the salt water "effect", only thing I could think of is the looks of our CL firefighters after a firefighting season: the paint looks totally matt, as opposed to the gloss before the start of the season.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

@holzhamer, the spray will have affected the aft fuselage and the propeller the most I think. Very nice progress here. I have to admit I have bought the kit too, and is sucking up all the info on your build! Do you know of any aftermarket items for this one? - I seem to have missed them. One thing in particular is the version with a landing gear, and the version with no gear at all as mentioned in the text in the kit. Could be great fun to make one on a catapult. . . .

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten- that makes sense, I will try a way to get the lower hull of each floater with that dull, matt look.

Erik @airbum- I saw a resin conversion that allows to swap the lower wing from floaters to the undercarriage version, the Tenzan. Found it on scalemates and looks oop long ago. And to my best knowledge Tamiya only made the experimental Tenzan in 1/72 scale. The catapult dolly on the other hand was something I also looked into as a possible scenario, but it looked a bit complicated to scratch build as far as my skills and tools go. No doubt it would make quite a diorama

• Profile Photo

Thank you @holzhamer - I found a site after visiting scalemates!
    http://wsw-modellbau.de/epages/ncs244425151111.sf/sec18515f30a1/?ObjectPath=/Shops/44425151111/Products/48-P001
    That looks rather like a different beast with all-orange paint and all...

• Profile Photo

It sure does Erik, and could be a nice what-if project too, imagine one used operationally?

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Great attention to detail at ever stage, Pedro. This will be a masterpiece when done. I like your approach of doing the hinomarus first and masking them off to do the surrounding paintwork. I was unsuccessful in my efforts to do it the other way round on my Betty.

• Profile Photo

Another quick update, now that the paint work is almost completed and all main parts are assembled (the exception being the left floater that intentionally will be glued only prior to the final varnish coat, therefore allowing me to weather all undersides with ease of movement).

Some masks are still to remove but the results are satisfactory, the exception being those white lines that need some “fine tunning” - Colin, as you can see there’s no golden rule when it comes to masks 😉

The underside is ok and ready for some oils. More to come soon

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Very slick paint work

• Profile Photo

That's coming along nicely, Pedro!
    The paintwork looks stunning!

• Profile Photo

Thank you my friends for your input.
    I couldn’t resist myself and placed my one leg model over its cart, just to see how it would look like... without the second floater (the one with the metal ballast) it just keeps leaning backwards eheh

some petit details were added to the right floater as you can see in the photo.
    Those yellow ID wing edges will need some minor retouches and then weathering time!

• Profile Photo

Awesome! nothing less, Pedro @holzhamer

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Wow Pedro I totally sleep walked past this gem. interesting process in painting the Hinomarus first and then the paint scheme. I read the whole posting and very nice step by step WIP. Very skillfull in your approach and techniques in getting this one rarely seen Japanese float plane assembled. I do agree it is very sleek and graceful. Will watch as you finalize this very well done Seiran. Thanks for sharing

• Profile Photo

This looks amazing already, Pedro @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This will be the best looking Seiran I have yet seen online. I really like the way it is all coming together with sprayed on markings, subtle modulation of the finish on upper and lower surfaces and restrained chipping. Can't wait of the masks to come off - revealing the interior in the last stages is one of my favorites parts of completing a model. Of course it's a bit tense too keeping the paint intact when pealing away masks but I always feel any paint loss is fixable with care.