Testors (Fujimi) 1/48 Aichi D3A "Val"

Started by Jordyn Collier · 19 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This was part of that lot of kits, like the Avenger I've just completed, sent by Jay Mitchell. It was a great build, but I forgot to post a detailed build for the actual aircraft. It was started within the time frame, however. So, for this one, I've decided to focus on showing my experiments in painting with an airbrush.

Parts fit well, not may issues at all! I plan on hanging this from the ceiling in its diving position, with brakes out and bomb being released. So, I'll need a pilot and gunner. The kit provided ones were, in my opinion, decent, but sort of rudimentary for 1/48. So, I'll be modifying and using two Airfix 1/48 pilots that I have. I think I've decided to paint this one in the attached scheme, though if you know of any interesting Val schemes, be sure to post em here. Anyway, I've got to head to school. Be back on soon!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Bombs away!

Will be interesting to see the airbrushing - looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice work ! I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great job so far, Jordyn!
    Bomb released is a nice feature.
    Looking forward to your airbrushing!

• Profile Photo

I've got some pre-shading done on my Val. I hope it still ends up visible when I put the dark green over top. Hopefully I'll finish the pre-shading after school today.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You are a fast learner Jordyn! Looks good from here - you may want to use some tape to mask the cockpit and the open area at the rear before next layer of paint (if you are using acrylic paint it is relatively easy to remove with a wooden toothpick from the glass if you should have some overflow)

• Profile Photo

Oh, yea. I forgot to mention. I only use Vallejo acrylics. I need to branch out more, but Vallejo is what I've been using.

• Profile Photo

I still need to learn how to use Acrylics - old school enamel are my preferred paint at the moment, but a lot of people create fantastic results with acrylic paint. I do have some Vallejo that I use for detail work by brush, and it works very well.

• Profile Photo

I'd like to get some enamel paints for, like, metallics? They just look so much better. Maybe I'd like some enamels for weathering purposes too. But, I'm used to acrylics because I've brush painted them for years, and I guess it's just my comfort zone.

• Profile Photo

I say stick with acrylics - I would love to get better at using them, and I think they work really well for those that are used to them. It is just that I find them a bit hard to use, but I will get there one day 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 3 years, 1 month ago:

It’s coming along nicely, Jordyn... excellent work!

• Profile Photo

Good advice, Erik.

Hey Jay! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you find this satisfactory when it's done.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking great, Jordyn!
    For what it's worth, I like the Vallejo metallics...easy to use and a good result. But go with what you like.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking great, jordyn @1corsair64!.
    You are a fast learner indeed!

• Profile Photo

I'm not digging this. I feel that I used the wrong shade of green, so I'm just gonna respray a darker green and post shade, and experiment more on a work horse.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.