Zero over Guadalcanal- Saburo Sakai

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 68 · 1 year ago · 1/48, A6M2, Eduard, Zero
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Everyone!

Two days ago I got delivered at my door step the new Profipack box of Eduard new mould A6M2 Zero. This kit is hot new since its release date will occur in most stores only after January 1st, including at Eduard’s own webshop.

The box comes with a very neat composition of the epic dogfight that took place in the skies above Guadalcanal opposing the Jap ace Saburo Sakai and the American ace “Pug” Southerland

I know this particular Saburo’s machine has been done to death by modelers ever since the dawn of plastic and I just might be the exception, but no decent display cabinet can skip this plane and Ace, right?
    I know that our iModeler friend and prolific/talented modeler Spiros is also doing Saburo’s plane in this GB using the Hasegawa kit so it should be a good comparison between both kits regarding the same subject.

I started building him yesterday, and the first thing I jumped at was the engine cowling.
    Thanks to a neat base provided in the box, it’s easy and fast to assemble the six piece cowling, although mine had some tiny gaps as you can tell by the Mr Surfacer putty lines. This was probably my own doing, but even if not it’s an easily solved issue.

Then I painted all Aotake areas indicated in the instruction booklet, using the same steps of the real plane- first aan aluminum layer the a very this spray with Mr Hobby Aotake, and it looks very convincing to my eye. Since this was painted yesterday it’s fully dried so I masked it over and will proceed by painting the interior cockpit colour over the already pre shades cockpit walls. For this I will use Real Colors “Mitsubishi green”.

Since I’m looking to achieve a used look over that cockpit floor, I also sprayed some aluminum around the areas where the pilot’s feet would step more often, and consequently create some chipping.

Now it’s time to brush one of those chipping solutions and 5 minutes later go for the some pre-shading followed by the Mitsubishi green overall.

The whell well and UC doors were also sprayed yesterday, using some black marbling for pre-shade. The colour is the elusive J3 amber grey that will also used in almost all fuselage and wings.

The prop is also aluminium painted, leaving only the back of the propeller blades to be painted in tea colour.

Finally, since my airbrush was full with aluminum paint I sprayed also the engine cilinders, leaving the remains of the painting and weathering to be made by brush

More soon, stay safe and a Happy New Year!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

What an amazing entry and what an amazing start, my friend @holzhamer!
    So far it is pretty obvious that the Eduard kit is miles ahead the "good old" Hasegawa.
    You are doing a wonderful job so far.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten
    Spiros, I guess we cannot even compare the level of detail of today’s kits versus those aged 20 or more years old. I bet you will do a great model out of the Hasegawa as you would out of this one too, just one step above due to the benefits of being state of the art 😉

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Very promissing start, Pedro @holzhamer
    Recently finished a Hasegawa as well so I'm following your build with interest.
    As Spiros, @fiveten, said, it seems very obvious that Eduard is much improved over the Hasegawa.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I like how Eduard has included a building jig to hold the cowling parts for assembly. The internal details, and particularly the surface are light years ahead of the other Zero kits. I have some of the Hasegawa A6M's on the work bench, but lately I have not had the opportunity to do any building. If these new tool Eduard kits build as nice as the Hasegawa kits do, then they will have a winner on their hands for sure. These kit will sell like hot cakes...

Thank you for starting this build journal, and count me in as watching it. I will definitely be looking forward to the next installment.

I also like your choices of paint colors. This is off to a great start !

• Profile Photo

I quick update today.
    As usual, I tend to spend some third of the build time painting and weathering all internal structures before assembling them together.
    It’s possibly a brain trick, but I find I can master things better and actually speed up the build.
    So cockpit and wheel well, plus some incursions around the engine have occupied a few hours in the past days.
    I did a full assembly of one of the wheel wells to show you just how detailed it it’s and and the detail pops up with a simple wash

You can have the pleasure of seeing the apparently unavoidable thin glue fingerprint 🙂

The other wheel well will follow later as the parts are still in the sprue

The numerous sub parts of the cockpit

Eduard provides optional mediums around the instrument panel, so for the main IP I went for the preprinted PE albeit I gave it a slight overspray with my own “Mitsubishi Green” so it doesn’t stand out too much.
    For the part in the pic #13, I chose the upper dials in PE but kept the lower part in plastic. The detail is gorgeous, and I think a careful paint and dry brush will be more effective than the PE option.
    The same happens for the lateral console, where I kept the plastic and will use the provided decals for the 3 dials in it… Kind of choose your flavour.

Finally the fuselage MGs are also painted and ready to be installed

The prop is also completed minus stencils

Let’s see where the kit leads me to next.
    Thanks for watching!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Amazing progress, my friend @holzhamer! The Eduard kit looks so clearly being ahead of the Hasegawa and your excellent skills make the most of it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great looking, Pedro @holzhamer
    Amazing detailing and weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@holzhamer Looking excellent! I am jealous of you guys with the new Eduard kit. I just wanted to mention, that to get a closer shade of the Mitsubishi Amber Grey, you need to add 10% white to AK RC 303, as per Nick Millman.

cheers

• Profile Photo

Thanks Woody! I had read elsewhere yesterday of a fellow that added 20% white to the J3, and it looked spot on. I guess the out of the bottle is quite good for those interior areas, less expose to the UV, and will make a good contrast to the overall lighter Amber Grey.

Right now I’m on the final steps of the cockpit and am already thinking ahead so your remark is bullseye 😉

Any thoughts about the colour mix for the control sections, rudder, ailerons, etc?

Thanks in advance!

I guess you’ll have lots of fun when you pick up one of these

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 years, 3 months ago:

AK RC302 is the paint I use for control surfaces (trim tabs will be body colour though). I think it’s supposed to be just equal parts white and black (J3) as it is a neutral grey. I’m sure you probably have something close to it in your current paints.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 3 months ago:

This is looking really good @holzhamer. Unfortunately, the US postmater Lous De(No)Joy (as my postman calls him) is living up to his name with overseas delays. I'm waiting for my Eduard samples still.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@tcinla

Tom- AK is a very good supplier for several brands in their web shop, especially Eduard.

They always seem to have a small quantity of the brand’s new releases ahead of market. I got lucky grabbing the last box of this kit in Christmas Day!

Another perk of living side by side with Spain is that the express mail gets things here in 24 hrs, free of charge for purchases above 30€, not bad at all.

It’s the exact opposite experience for me to buy from Eduard directly.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great work with cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Well, my Tora-Tora-tora release has arrived and all I can say is, in person it looks better than @holzhamer's photos. Eduard has topped themselves with this one. Wow!