Zero over Guadalcanal- Saburo Sakai

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 68 · 1 year ago · 1/48, A6M2, Eduard, Zero
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Lol Tom!
    I know my photos suck but you are right, the quality of this kit isn’t easily perceived in any photo, mine or someone elses… only the naked eye can see it fully

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Hah! Your photos are great. @holzhamer. I'm following them for what I will be doing.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer

I have the original offering of these Zero's in the dual combo kit package, and just like you mentioned, the details are incredible. Add in your skill set and detail painting like you are doing and you will have another magnificent model added to your collection. Each time I see someone building one of these up, it's that much harder to resist breaking open the paint and glue, then starting with mine... 😉

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - you are going to wild with the new Eduard kit. As you know from looking at it, it is truly amazing. Eduard has topped themselves.

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tcinla
    You are absolutely correct. This Eduard Zero is their best one yet. I like how they have included a jig for assembling the cowling. They have also released a bunch of aftermarket Eduard upgrades for this one... something like six or seven things, ranging from Brassin wheel sets to "LooK" IP's and seat harnesses. I'll likely stick to what's in the box with mine, but I could see a museum quality model emerging from the box going either way... box stock or with all of the extra bells and whistles.

Thanks ! 🙂

• Profile Photo

@lgardner:

I have the kit and have the Brassin seat, and quite frankly, the kit is so good that 2 minutes with a sanding stick used on the kit seat (and then only if you must make it thinner, which isn't really needed) will bring it up to the Brassin seat. If you have the Profipack kit, there is no need of any aftermarket, and even if you had Overtrees, all you would really need are seatbelts.

• Profile Photo

Just in case anyone has any doubt, this is without contest Eduard's Best Yet. There is nothing difficult to it, if you commit the revolutionary act of following the instructions and being sure to clean off all sprue nibs. I have yet to meet the perfect kit, but this one is close enough for no nevermind about the difference. Everything fits like a jewel.

• Profile Photo

And to second the above opinions here’s how the cockpit is minus a few pieces that just demand some glue later on (full work space of Saburo’s Sakai will be presented very very soon)

Make sure you remember Tom’s golden rule- follow the instructions steps while assembling the cockpit!
    I had to reinstall the seat after it fell while attaching the IP and it sucked big time… almost half hour of sweat, cursing and cursing… and lots of super glue!
    Another part that makes me scratch my head is this one

Eduard instructs us to glue Pe32+D49 to the side wall part before getting the main cockpit structure fixed in. Now that chain is supposed to be over the side wall structure… hummm?!?

Painted the engine cowling with AK acrylics because it is the only source of blue black cowl color I have (minus some homemade mixes obviously). This paint is very fragile and had to do some retouches where the my gloves touched while handling the piece. Now it’s fully cured after a coat of flat varnish.

Look how different it seems using different lights

Finally a small detail that probably won’t be visible but shows the level of detail OOB the kit offers

Thanks for watching, more follows soon

• Profile Photo

Here’s the full cockpit and better light

• Profile Photo

And finally the proof all fits with precision, smart kit!

Any blemish so far was yours truly fault

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

An excellent kit built with your usual excellence, my friend @holzhamer!
    This cockpit is truly amazing!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Those results are breathtaking, Pedro @holzhamer
    The realism of that cockpit is amazing.
    All those details together with your quality paintwork makes it look great.

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I am absolutely speechless ! This has to be one of (if not the) very best out of the box cockpits that I have ever seen. I can only echo these comments listed above. Wow... You my dear friend are bringing the very best out of what looks to be a spectacular kit. I did find the sequence steps with the PE canopy chain to be a bit confusing. How did you like using the cowling assembly jig ?

As far as the "Blue Black" color used on the engine cowling goes, I have found that using regular old WW2 US Navy "Dark Sea Blue" works out very well. I believe the Federal Standards number is FS-15042. I hope this helps you sometime with future builds. I really like how you have painted the "Aotake" blue. It matches the rest of the model, and is SUPERB.

Now I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next. Keep it going !

• Profile Photo

looking excellent @holzhamer.
    @lgardner - yes, that cockpit is amazing. It would even look amazing if you used decals instead of the p-e for the instrument panels. The seat belts are all that is needed.

The one thing almost sad about this kit is, you're not going to be doing several, like you would with the Spitfires, the P-51s, the 109s or the 190s, where there's such a plethora of great camo finishes and markings. I have the Tora-Tora kit and this one to arrive soon. Will do one PH airplane from the Tora-Tora kit, then the Sakai airplane, then the 1943 field-camoed Nakajima A6M2 and I will be "A6M2'd out."

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Pedro, late for the party. The Eduard's Zero looks like a real winner. Surpassing the very nice Hase kit quite a bit. The cockpit is really detailed. The wheel wells are the best I have every seen in this scale. I use Mission Models Blue Black for the Japanese cowlings. It is the best black blue in appearance, Dark Sea Blue is close but a bit too blue. AK and Mission Models have the color pretty much exact but suffer the very delicate finish and scratches easily so I have learned to apply this color last and mask off the fuselage then apply Blue Black if possible. I ran into to this while building the Kate. Your skills from your Luftwaffe builds really show up on the Zero. Excellent build so far.