A-4B Skyhawk – Fuerza Aerea Argentina, Falklands War – 1/48 scale

Started by Colin Gomez · 94 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@coling - I really like what you did with the wing regarding the slats. That looks really good.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Yeah, this is a REALLY wonderful correction, my friend @coling!

Those kinds of corrections/improvements transform a model to a masterpiece, like is the case here..

Yes, a bit lonely at this GB, but I promise to re-enter with my Victor soon (I had to prioritize my BR.20 at the Empire of Japan GB, then to finish my 1/32 Su-27 in @tcinla 's "build or Bin" GB, as Tom is lurking in the corner for it and I don't want to bin it ! 🙂 ...). It's true tha so many amazing GBs are currently running here by great guys; I cannot help but have at least an entry in each one of them!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, Tom. I think it was an article of yours - maybe on Modeling Madness - that alerted me to the slat issue. This is the first time I've gone ahead and fixed it - i just left it alone on my Blue Tail Flies A-4C. I t was worth the effort.

I am really looking forward to getting some paint on this one. The tones of the camo will be very pleasing to the eye, I think.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros. Good to hear you haven't forgotten the Victor; it will be a beauty. I didn't see the Su-27. I will have to check that one out - a big jet in my favorite scale!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@coling - interesting you mention the Blue Tail fly A-4C, because I havethat decal sheet sitting in my Hasegawa A-4C kit, and after seeing what you did here, I am going to make that correction on this/

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Watch the Hasegawa kit resin radome shape- its incorrect (for both A-4Q AND A-4C). I had to make my own for my A-4Q build in this group look for my A-4Q from ESCI A-4E thread. I have added pics of the A-4P fairing, and my correction- although i need to photograph it in the same perspective as the photos of the real plane I posted here! Also- be careful to look at photos (can be found on the internet) of the small antenna fairing on the port side of the A-4P nose- Hasegawa has it sorta right- it is not really a big diagram- you have to look carefully in the instructions to see where they mention it- you can find the tiny fairing on the resin parts sprue.

If you ever want to do an A-4Q, the FCM ARMADA titles are not right- the Hasegawa ones are better, but the clear film yellows , so that is the reason I did not use them on mine. Also, refer to photos for placement of the decals on the tail, as well as how to line up the edges of the blue stripes-FCM did not get that quite right- however, thank God they did this set of markings-including the Indonesian A-4s!.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good, Colin. I never noticed the slat issue on any A-4 kit before. Good eye.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Dan and John for your comments from awhile back. Thank you very much Dan@danfrombermuda for the great detail shots and advice on the Argentine A-4s. The museum shots of the A-4B/A4Q were exactly what I was looking for to work on the hump. I elected to modify the resin provided by Hasegawa as it mainly needed some resculpting at the aft end to look pretty convincing (see below). It was very kind of you and very helpful to provide the necessary info.

So here is the summary of the temporary halt and current progress. For a long time, I got hung up on filling some gaps from inserts on the A-4. Hasegawa inserts, designed to allow different versions of the same plane from common molds, can be a pain in the neck. Can't believe I haven't touched it in 6 months all because I didn't feel like doing this simple job. These before and aft pics show the filling done with stretched sprue melted with liquid cement and sanded results.

As noted above, I modified the radar/avionics hump (or whatever it is) by carefully reshaping the resin with an Exacto and sandpaper. It is a distinct teardrop shape and only needed narrowing and some squaring off at the back. I also needed to carve out the mounting hole to move to whole thing farther aft. The pics provided above by Dan De Silva show the shape well, as does this other pic I found. Most of the main components are now attached, except clear landing lights and antennas. Nearly ready for painting, I am experimenting with the canopy and windscreen fit. I will probably glue these in with Testors canopy glue for masking and painting in closed position. After the camo is painted, I will pry off the canopy to mount it in open position. The fit is good although the larger piece needs pressure to seal tightly. Hopefully it will stay in place for handling and painting.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Impressive progress, Colin @coling
    Looking forward to see the camouflage being applied.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @coling!
    Looking forward to the camo!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John@johnb and Spiros@fiveten. I made some progress on the build but still short of the camo. First, I did masking with some quite poor Eduard pre-cut masks. These were OK for the windscreen but badly shaped to the canopy lines.

Lots of time and work to fix them. Finally I got the interior color for the canopy painted. I carefully masked off the intakes with masking tape for that stage. Prior to that I had spent a long time masking deeper inside the intake using Tamiya tape and balsa wood plugs. I needed to do that for the application of the camo, in order to create a nice demarcation line between the white of the intake trunk and the exterior color. No other way to do it (that I could come up with) when the intakes were already assembled and painted inside. Same process to come for the Super Etendard intakes. I am still on the fence about doing a red trim on the intake lip as it doesn't seem to appear on photos of Falklands/Malvinas War A-4Bs.

Next, I did the red interior color for the flap and speed brake assembly, top and bottom.

I tried to do some pre-shading and black-basing to bring out the detail. It worked fine but it deepened the red color a bit. Not necessarily a bad thing as there would be variations on the red in these areas on the real thing. In all the painting and finishing so far, I have broken off the pesky extensions that hold up the leading edge flaps many times. I guess that's inevitable when they are so delicate and stick out so far. The still look OK after repairs. Next up is to mask these areas for some pre-shading and then the underside blue and final topside camo work. that will be quite a bit of airbrushing. I am working with my Christmas present, a new compressor with an air tank. It works very well, so far and I am hoping the lack of a pulse in the airflow will improve spray patterns for fine camo. I did some other work on the S.79, B5N2 Kate and Lynx, which I will also be posting today and tomorrow. Here is the box with all the small parts to be finished at once. That's it for this build today. Now to post some details about the Lynx in the Helicopters GB. Comments welcome.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @coling!
    Congratulations on your new compressor!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Beautiful work done, Colin @coling
    What a Christmas you got, great.
    I do have a similar one and till now she is doing a great job.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. I am definitely having fun with the new compressor. Quieter working with a motor that only comes on from time to time.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. The compressor works well. I was sold on the positive reviews on Amazon. Oddly it got a lot better feedback than the more expensive Paasche version. So far, so good.