Avro Vulcan – ”Operation Black Buck” – 1/72 Airfix

Started by Colin Gomez · 21 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@coling: I was at the Abbotsford Show in 1977. I remember the Vulcan was there and it did a max-power wings-vertical 360 inside the airport perimeter, at an altitude about 1,000 feet overhead. The ground literally shook!

When I was in Sacramento, they used to come in and out of McClellan AFB. Twice I nearly caused an accident on I-880 just south of the takeoff end of the runway, when one lifted off over the freeway, craning my head to watch it while trying to keep my eye on the road.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 1 month ago:

No pics, Colin. It went to Vulcan Valhalla many years ago.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I saw a Vulcan at McClellan, Tom. It was ‘75 or ‘76. My uncle’s last posting was there and he brought me out to see the sights. That was a cool trip. Besides the Vulcan, I remember seeing a lot of F-105s under maintenance, some F-106s, and small group of F-5s being prepped to be shipped to either Iran or Saudi Arabia.
    The Vulcan was always a star at the Chicago Airshow when I was a kid. Tragically, one crashed at NAS Glenview in ‘77 or ‘78.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hey Tom. We nearly crossed paths back in the 70s! The last time I was at Abbotsford as a kid was '74 or '75. The Vulcan did several of those passes right in front of the audience and it did indeed make everything rumble and shake. They did at least one with the bomb bay doors open for photos and that is part of the reason why I became fascinated with reproducing the open bomb bay in plastic. I don't think they allow such close-in passes at airshows anymore , do they? Too dangerous. One of my favorite aspects of Abbotsford was the great static displays. I saw my first A-6E, EA-6, F-106 and F-101 close-up then. they let you close enough to peer in the cockpits, as I recall.

Thanks for the kind regards on the build, Paul. You were so lucky to see the Vulcan at Farnborough. Now that it an iconic airshow with some real history!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good Colin with some nice upgrades, I'm waiting for the new tool kit ! -------------
    my Valiant with modified inlets, built for the RAF 100 GB !

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Those beautiful British bombers!