IA-58A Pucara Fuerza Aerea Argentina in the Falklands

Started by Tom Cleaver · 26 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This is the new Kinetic 1/48 kit of the IA-58A/D Pucara. 40 years after some in the rest of the world learned what a Pucara is (the name is a Quechua word meaning "mountain fortress"), a year after the FAA took the last IA-58 off first line operations (some 20 are being modified to a reconnaissance role) a mainstream 1/48 injection-molded kit has now been released.

It was worth the wait. This is Kinetic's best kit to date. Everything fits. Surface detail is beautiful. Details are right. Sadly it doesn't have any underwing ordnance, though it has the TERs. The Hasegawa Weapons Set A and B will solve that problem.

I have a page on this project in the Work In Progress Group. I've gotten lots of information from Argentine friends. I've passed much on there and will do more here.

For starters, here are the work in progress shots so far.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice to see your Pucara enetring this GB here, my friend @tcinla!
    Indeed, it's just great to see a nice quarterscale mainstream kit, being built equally nicely, of this iconic plane in a commemorative GB.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looks good, Tom. I need to get one of these.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for joining the group, Tom. Your Pucara is already attracting great interest on iModeler. It is a bonus that you can contribute your historical and technical knowledge of the type as well as build techniques. With the interest I have seen for the Kinetic kit on your original thread we may well have some other builds as well. The more the better.

• Profile Photo

Here is the model painted in the "anodized" look they were first delivered in. This is my interpretation of that, since each of the photos I have, taken at different angles and different lighting, shows the various panels in slightly different shades. I did this since I am crazy enough to do one of the airplanes that didn't get camo paint till it got to the islands.

I am also attaching pix of three pages from the Pucara book that have information for modelers about the paint used, and a list of aircraft that were there by serial number, with their schemes. the ones with "anodized" for a lower color are the ones that got field painted after they got to the islands.

Sane modelers will do one of the airplanes painted on the mainland. 🙂

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking good, Tom. The varied metal shades look right to my eye. Are you doing the whole thing in anodized metal? The last entries of the chart seem to show a two color camo applied in addition to the metal. I sort of gather you are doing the earliest stage before painting (?) I have seen a lot of photos of these planes on line and I am amazed by the variation in the look of the colors depending on the light(?) or pigments used. The camo pattern is nice and subtle in most cases though.

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hey Tom- awesome! After learning about the Falklands conflict in more detail as a young teen, I wanted a Pucara. The Falklands further energized my interest in military aviation as I got to see Victors and Nimrods stop off in Bermuda on the way to the conflict. I got the Kinetic Sea Harrier two years ago, and might finally build it this year along with a Hasegawa Argentine A-4. very interested in getting the new Pucara from Kinetic. Thanks for sharing the build process!

• Profile Photo

@tcinla:

Sane modelers will do one of the airplanes painted on the mainland

...but they will not have a field painted Pucara!...

• Profile Photo

Yes, @fiveten, and they also won't have driven "around the bend." 🙂

• Profile Photo

Landing gear attached

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Please disregard the camo vs metal question, Tom. I realized you said you would paint over it by reviewing what you wrote on the WIP thread.

• Profile Photo

Good to know I made sense then, @coling. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Mmmm, landing gear looks busy and detailed, really nice, @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Tom: Any ideas where to get aftermarket Pucara decals or are some new ones in the pipeline?

• Profile Photo

The model in its initial paint and standing on its feet. Now for the camo. I am going to use Tamiya XF-78 "Wooden Deck Tan", a good substitute for the "ochre brown/tan" on the real one, and Tamiya XF-21 "Sky" lightened with some white, a good match for the "duck egg green" used.

I could allllllmost leave this in the "anodized." But no - I want it from the war.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.