RAF Chinook HC.1 Italeri 1/72nd

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 74 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years ago:

This will be my entry for the Falklands War GB. RAF Bravo November, ZA718

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

What an amazing entry, my friend @uscusn! I have the same kit unbuilt: looks nice and neat! I hope it will not give you many issues (but even if it does, your masterpiece skills will tackle them).
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years ago:

Great choice, Chuck, can't wait to see the fine results you get with this one. Welcome to the Group! I am happy to see another helicopter in the mix as they figured so importantly in the action. I recognize your choice as the only Chinook to survive the Exocet attack on the Atlantic Conveyor. The pilot won a DFC for subsequent service with ZA718 in the conflict. I haven't built this one but I am guessing as an Italeri helo it will be good. I have a 1/35 scale Trumpeter version in my stash. I bought it cheap at a model show without thinking of the practicality. Too big to contemplate building right now. IMHO the RAF colors and markings for the Chinook are the most attractive. This will be a outstanding contribution.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years ago:

Fantastic Chuck, this aircraft oozes history - glad you are onto it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Strapped in!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years ago:

Nice one Chuck, not a bad kit !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

I love helos, Chuck (@uscusn), even if their rotors do take up a ton of shelf space. The focus of my master's degree was the Falkland War, so this will be fun to follow along.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, the Italeri kit looks real good in the box.

• Profile Photo

Erik, you will hopefully enjoy the ride.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan the master of helos in 72nd scale. I have a few in the stash which I really need to start building more. But you are correct this kit is not bad. Engraved panel lines, interior details fair and something to work with. Italeri can be a hit or a bit of a miss. This one is a hit. looking forward in getting started on it.

• Profile Photo

Hi George, I'm impressed that was your subject. Mine was on the PTO USN in WWII, but that was for my Bachelors, my Masters my subject was on Eschatology. (study on Prophecy/end times). I love helo's as well being in the rotor community in the Navy. Was not my first choice in aviation as my first few commands were within the F/A-18 squadrons. Then an unexpected opportunity became available and it chose me to participate, I took it and man I am so glad I did.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Let see what is in the box, popping the lid. On top is the typical fold out instruction sheet/booklet. Referencing Model Master paints for the colors used on the Chinook.

Next are a set of decals which also has some stenciling, walkways and 3 scheme options. RAF, US Army and Royal Australian Air Force.

Light grey hard plastic. But not brittle. The fuselage halves have a separate lower section. Engraved panel lines, a bit deep but not too bad. With Italeri it can be hit or miss on some of their kits, but this one so far is pretty good. Stringers and but light on the details within the interior.

The first sprue which also contains the fuselage halves, also have the cargo and flight deck as one piece. Exhaust pods, ramp, upper cockpit roof panel lower front panel insert.

Rear ramp with some details, flight deck has knobs and switches on the center console. A set of engine intake/exhaust pods.

Next sprues contains the bulk of the details., interior, exterior, rotor blades, lower insert panel, rotor heads.

LH and RH rear sponsons.

Intake grilles, rotor heads and rotor splash shields.

Instrument panel with dials, switches and knobs.

Forward bulkheads and lower insert panel.

Nice set of wheels, may go resin here up in the air for now.

Clear sprue, not quite crystal, but the frame work on the canopy is well defined.

And excellent set of decals from Aztec, with one of 2 sheets they have available for the Falklands war for the both RAF, RN and Argentinian air craft very nice. Interesting subjects as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The kit looks quite nice, my friend @uscusn! I have the Airfix version, which is a reboxed Italeri, and also tha Trumpeter one, looking "nice and modern"...
    Thanks for the detailed presentation!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, yes this kit is much better than expected. Italeri can be a hit or a miss. This is one not bad at all so far in the details given.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hey Chuck, I built mine many years ago, just now finally correcting the rotor blade width for the C version, reduced from 11.3 mm to 9.2 mm.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.