RAF Chinook HC.1 Italeri 1/72nd

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 74 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Removing the masks is always a great moment, Chuck @uscusn

Nice save on that blade, looks like a decent repair.

Vallejo varnish is what I use as well, great results. I started to apply them with airbrush and recently ordered some rattle cans. My preference is applying it using the airbrush however. Rattle cans are more difficult to control in amount off spray and positioning the large can towards your model.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, been really please with the performance of the Vallejo Flat Clear. Covers very well out of the airbrush.
    Thanks Eric, it's holding up ok so far.
    Thanks John, I have also like the Lifecolor Flat clear also, but seems not easy to get compared to Vallejo.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Colin I am please that the decals performed as I hoped. I was afraid that some of the stenciling from the Italeri decals might silver but did not after the flat coat was applied. Rally do like using the Vallejo Flat clears which dries quite flat.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Before continuing with the blades. Will work on the intake filters.

A bit of wash is applied over the mesh screen before airbrushing the Flat coat. The details are well done. Really liking this kit detail wise. Italeri at times can be wanting on details. They stepped up with this one.

Next up is to paint the swash plates black as well as the rotor heads.

Using Lifecolor to airbrush black the rotor head and swash plates

Test fitting the swash plates to the front and rear rotor masts.

I will not glue these, the fit is firm. Which allow to transport easily when the time to move comes. I will glue the rotors to the swash plates.

More ariels attached along the LH side, doing like 3 at a time. Then onto another detail. Once you have these all attached then the model gets difficult to handle. It is already hard to handle carefully at this point, leaving the rotors off for now.

Now back to the front is to attach the wiper arms. Surprised that Eduard's did not have a pair in their PE set. So used the oversized kit provided ones.

Now to apply the yellow stripes to the rotor blades.

Once the decals are in place and sealed. The rotors are then set in place on the masts.

Now back to complete the task of attaching the rest of the antennas or antennae?

Now to let everything set overnight.

Next up is the exhaust cones to attach and exhaust trail and staining around the upper fuselage.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Looking perfect, Chuck @uscusn
    Indeed very fragile to handle with this huge amount of antennas.
    Although slightly oversized, the whipers do look quite ok.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 2 months ago:

That's a great looking Chinook, Chuck @uscusn. Judging by what I observed in the background, you have a serious models in progress production factory going on. Not to change the subject, but I would like to know if that's a Dodge Power Wagon is sitting next to your Humvees and what kit is it?

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, one must be careful in picking this Chinook up with all kinds of little detail bits easy to knock off.
    Hi Eric, thanks that is actually the front end of an Italeri GMC 6x6 cargo truck.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Final session. here the exhaust cones are painted a Pale Burnt metallic finish and Jet exhaust within the interior.

Once installed, Tamiya Smoke is lightly applied for the exhaust trail and down wash from the rotors around the rear sail panel and rear deck.

And that Completes the RAF HC.1 Chinook

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great result on the cones and the smoke trails, Chuck @uscusn
    A perfect looking Chinook.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Amazing result, my friend @uscusn!
    Looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice - did you add antennawire after pictures? or did this one not have them on the forest of antennas?

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Looking forward to your official headlines posting.
    Nice to see another entry to the Guerra de las Malvinas group build completed.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Looking fantastic, Chuck. Really well done!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Where have I been ! good to see it finished Chuck, well done.