Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking forward to the decals!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Fantastic paintwork, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 4 months ago:

With the emphasis of Pearl Harbor come and gone, time to get back into the Falklands RAF Hc1. Using the excellent Aztec decals for the RAF "Bravo November" markings, and the kit decals for the stencils and base markings.

The Aztec decals worked perfectly, the Italeri decals were hit and miss.

The stencils at times would disintegrate, but the black wing walk markings worked out fine and settled with some coaxing from Solva-Set.

So the process was a mix of elation and frustration mixed in with patience, and took 2 days to apply them.

The Aztec decals worked well with the Micro Set and Micro Sol process.

Next up to install the wheels and flat coat the finish. Then to start another round of small details to attach.
    more to follow

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great looking decals in the end, Chuck @uscusn
    Never new those Chinooks had such a huge walkway.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Amazing decaling job, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Excellent work, Chuck. I really like the way the pre-shading comes through on the camo and the decals look perfect, in spite of their challenges. Really nice to see some activity in the Falkland's GB. I haven't had any time at all for modeling in the last month and a half but will get some stuff done on my Argentine A-4B over the holidays, I hope. Really looking forward to the final result on your Chinook - a superb model of a very historic machine.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks John and Spiros I am quite satisfied with the outcome of the decals from both the kit and from Aztec. First time using the Aztec decals. Nice set. Italeri can be hit or miss on their decals. For the most part they worked out, only some of the stencils were prone to break and had to piece some together.
    Thanks Colin, this turned out to be a much better kit from Italeri.
    Now to add some detail before applying the flat coat. Don't remember the last time I added details until after the flat coat has been applied.

First to install the wheels. I am using a very nice set of resin wheels from Armory. Weighted and well detailed for this scale. You can read "Goodyear" on the sidewalls and a very nice brake caliper detail on the back side.

The hubs are painted Lifecolor Gloss Black, the tires are Testor Rubber.

While drying I went ahead to start to assemble the rescue hoist. Painted the same Grey as the scheme on the helo.

Now to carefully attach the wheel. Using a slow drying cyno cement. Making sure the weighted part rests squarely on the deck. Taking into account that the Chinook has a nose up stance.

What a difference with the Chinook now having it's wheels attached. And without breaking off any of the antennas under the fuselage.

The wheels make quite a difference once installed.

Finally 3 cooling scoops are attached on top of the fuselage.

With the scoops painted. She is ready to have the flat coat applied.

Next to apply the flat coat and continue to add the numerous final details.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @uscusn!
    The installed wheels indeed make a difference!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Looks really great, Chuck @uscusn
    Good to she her on her feet. It does however look very fragile to me.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

massive update - great stuff! I do like the wheels too.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, seems like now with the wheels now installed the end is near but really tons of little details too add.
    John, not fragile, but just got to be careful how I handle the model from here on out to the end. The fragile details will be what to watch for with some more handling yet to be done after the flat coat is applied.
    Thanks Herr Erik, still a ways to go.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Now for a quick update. With the wheels installed, now I will apply the Flat Clear Coat using Vallejo's Acrylic, love this stuff.

Once the clear coat is applied I let the airframe sit for an hour before starting to remove the maskings.

Starting with the overhead glass panel over the pilots I start to carefully pull off the masks.

Italeri is known for overly thick clear pieces on some of their older 72nd scale kits, not so on the Chinook. Glass is clear not too thick, you can see the cockpit clearly and the details within.

Now to slowly start to add the prominent ariel antennas along the LH side of the fuselage, I hope I don't lose any in the process. I will install these in steps, as once you have them all attached, makes handling a bit difficult to finish up on other details.

A blade antenna is then attached on the central shaft housing panel. This is Flat black.

Now time to start to assemble the rotor blades. One was already broken when I opened the box at the start. At a point that would be difficult to repair and was not looking forward to it once it came to start to build the rotors. The rotor heads are too bad in this scale, Bravo Italeri.

The undamaged blades should look like this with the end that attached to the rotor head. They are pinned nicely to insure a long lasting contact point at the rotor head as they are fragile.

The blades attach easily and the contact point is positive and solid.

Finally to repair and attach the broken blade. Let it sit 24 hours and then attach to the rotor head. Fortunately the damage was not a deal breaker. Able to save the blade, stabilize the damage, and should be ok over time.

Next up to complete the other rotor assy, more details exhaust system etc.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great so far, my friend @uscusn! I am impressed by the looks the Vallejo matt varnish offers.
    Nice work with the antennas and the rotor blades, great remedial action for the broken one.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Fingers crossed for the repair Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Superb results, Chuck. The Vallejo matt coat really brings out the quality of your decal work - flawlessly blended in with the paint finish. I love this moment when the flat coat is done and the masks come off. I usually have one model at this stage the day before a model show and I end up adding little details far into the might to finish it up. It will be worth the patient effort to get all the delicate bit attached at the end. No other way to do it. BTW, I am really impressed with the momentum of the build now. This should be done and in headlines very soon.

Thanks for the tip about Vallejo flat finish. I've been looking for something to replace the MM Acryl Flat I've used up to now. As the bottle gets old. I tend to get splashed of white here and there in in my finishes. Vallejo looks much better.