Revell (Matchbox) 1/72 Handley Page VICTOR K Mk 2

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 87 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Handley Page, Matchbox, Revell, The Falklands War, Victor
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Moving on...

All above basic elements were corse sanded and became more homogenous. I was so tempted to attach them together, however massive gaps were evident here and there, deeming it very difficult to fill and sand them once attached. I thus restrained my self and went on treating them with liquefied styrene, while unattached:

The flaps were attached in retracted position (the usual Victor stance). Fit was terrible, with clamps and liquefied styrene coming to the rescue:

Upon curing and 2nd round of coarse sanding the basic elements will be attached together.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

She is coming along nicely Spiros! Some TLC and she will be a showpiece fit for any competition table!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @mornem!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Now, tell me my friend, does the LqS start to outrun the kit-styrene? Looks like you could almost just sculpt a plane out of LqS. Nah - just kidding, great stuff @fiveten, such a brave build you got going here!

• Profile Photo

You CAN see the styrene between the liquefied styrene, my friend @airbum! 🙂
    A dog of a kit it is, but, still, a Matchbox sweetness lies deep (ok, very deep) inside it!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Wow, zooming right along, Spiros. You are putting a lot of vigorous effort into this kit. I have two of these in my stash. One is the original Matchbox, the other the Revell re-boxed tanker. I examined the model very carefully and worked on it a bit. Because I had a spare kit, I decided to be bolder about the intakes than I would have with only one kit (utter failure could be remedied the second time around). Anyway, for what it's worth, I decided to cut out some of the fences in the intakes completely and replace them with solid scratch-built pieces (i.e. with no center join). For fatter fences of more complex shape, I decided the upper and lower pieces could be cut out, joined together and reinserted with the center join already sanded and smoothed (so only needing filling out at the top and bottom). Surgery could still be done at the stage you are at with a razor saw and the intakes closed. In fact it is easier to fit them inside again with the intake closed so it may be the best stage. Personally, I found it unimaginably difficult to join the upper and lower bits inside the closed intake, given the sanding involved in a confined space necessary to smooth out multiple joints. Clearly, you are a braver man than I was in getting this far and I am sure you will solve this one way or another. I have seen some really good builds on-line of the Matchbox kit (several with red FOD intake covers and some with fixed intakes). I hope you don't mind my humble suggestion on avoiding headaches with the fences. Otherwise, I am sure your Victor will look great. BTW, I chickened out on my build and bought the Airfix version as soon as it came out. I also put my Mach 2 Valiant in the garage as soon as Airfix released theirs. Life is just too short for Mach 2 kits.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Just joined this group Spiros and you are, as ever smashing it! I take it you are going for an in-flight dio with Vulcan re-fuelling...?

(I'm just jealously trying to slow you down!).

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friends @coling and @yellow10!

Yep, replacing the thin intake fillets and smoothing-reinserting the thicker ones looks to be a most attractive option...and I believe it is at this stage that it can be appropriately done.

After finishing subassemblies smoothing and preparation (and, boy, they require quite a lor...), I'll have a "look" at those intakes...

• Profile Photo

Starboard intake first stage refining...

Having decided to improve those prominent intake looks, I went on using my prison escape...errrrrrrrr, sorry, my sculpture tools, and went on loops of filing, cutting, shaving, cleaning and reshaping, not always in that order...

Here are the initial results, compared with the "untreated" port intake, and please note that the intake walls and lips are untreated:

And here are the "tools" used:

Next, the port intake will be treated, followed by both intakes' smoothing, filling and final sanding, including the walls, lips and surrounding area...

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers, great FWGB!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 1 month ago:

You’re really making great progress on this, Spiros.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @j-healy!

And an update:

Finished the initial shaping.sanding at both intakes, now some filling needs to be done there, but the intakes already look less revolting:

I also drilled out the two additional air intakesimmediately out of main intakes outer border:

The NACA air inlets at the nose were also drilled out, as they were anaemically provided by Matchbox:

By the way, tha Victor is oozing with mini details allover, as I look at walkaround pics; the more one adds, the more "believable " the model looks.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Excellent craftsmanship, Spiros. The "prison escape tools" idea is kind of an apt metaphor. It takes about that much patience and slightly crazy ambition to file through those bars. But it worked. This already looks far better than anything I have seen done with these intakes on the Internet (or that I accomplished). It is also living proof of the value of liquified styrene as a filler and a glue. Only that kind of substance could get all the fences to stay even and anchored in place while you ground away at them. I could never get them to all line up together on that kit to begin with. Anyway, great job. This is going to be a triumph of man over stubborn plastic when its done and well worth the effort.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @coling!
    Such comments from master modelers, like you, reassure me I am at the right track; they make me feel very proud, too!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Coming along nicely Spiros my friend, keep up the good work, I sold my kit several years ago and now have the Airfix kit, it won't be done for this GB though, I may do a Harrier !

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 1 month ago:

You're really moving on this one,Spiros! Looking good, It's a good thing you have a Revell, usually the older Matchbox decals don't hold up.