Sharkey’s SHAR and a GR3

Started by Paul Barber · 11 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Colin - well done and thanks for putting this group together! I had a few Malvinas/Falklands builds in mind for next year and you have given them a home.

These two will be first up - although others are planned. I have the new Pucara and a Kinetic Mirage IIIEA. I also have a Wessex chopper. A year is a long time in modelling - but short if you build as slowly as I do!

For the SHAR I’ll build the aircraft in which Sharkey Ward ‘Mr Sea Harrier’ shot down the Hercules and previously a dagger - XZ451/006

Still thinking on the GR3.

A few pending builds to clear up first but I’m looking forward to paying tribute to flyers from both sides of this conflict.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Paul. Welcome aboard the Task Force. These kits look great. I have the Kinetic Super Etendard in 1/48 in my stash. They make some really fine kits. I am really looking forward to seeing your Harriers built up. The RAF GR 3 version gets less glory than the SHAR but it was a formidable part of the action (and figures prominently in the heading picture for the GB!). It would also be great to have the Mirage lllE and/or Wessex. Happy this topic fits conveniently with your plan to observe the anniversary. Good luck with your pending builds. I have quite few projects going myself that will be done before the FWGB. No hurry.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Colin, if you have read any of Ward's books (I'm guessing you may have) the tension between RAF and Navy services from the British point of view is hard to downplay. If you believe his version of events the whole action was a mess from start to finish bar the SHAR CAP work. If you take his word for it, that was only because the senior staff on Invincible gave him carte bIanche. I don't really know what to make of him, other than he must have been an outstanding pilot, regardless of his many other 'idiosyncrasies'. Of course the RAF Harrier flew much less in its own role, but the way those pilots adapted to life on ships is also entirely noteworthy.

I was putting a mini-stash for this anniversary together and like so many, waiting for the new Vulcan to arrive to build up a Black Buck plane. Given there were 7 attempts at that objective we could all make planes to fit the bill! I believe 4 Vulcans were involved if reserves are included. I may yet pick up a Dagger, but to be honest I always overpromise in these GBs so for now 2 with an eye on more later!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Wow, what great entries, my friend @yellow10.
    And what nice stories behind the types.
    Looking forward to them (...and to the Vulcan and Dagger 🙂 )

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Oh yes - vertical power!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great choices, Paul. These two are my favorite Harrier variants.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Gents,

There is a controversial story to tell around these two planes. The reason I chose Sharkey Ward is because he is a recognised Top Gun but also harbours huge bitterness against the RAF for the way the outcomes of the Falklands war fighting were conveyed to the British people after the event. Hearing him speak and reading his opinions on Op Black Buck makes for an awkward question or two for the leaders of that and Op Corporate in general. More on that as the build shapes up.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

Glad to see you jump into this one, especially as I'm also thinking a Sea Harrier down the road. Build me a nice road map!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Kirwan said 3 years ago:

Hi Paul
    I read Ward's bio along time ago and while I enjoyed it I was left with the impression that he is the embodiment of the addage you can choose to grow up or be a fighter pilot but you can't do both.

Still the kill rate speaks for itself; aggression, better training and a more superior air to air missile go a long way.

Looking forward to seeing the builds
    Brian

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years ago:

Thanks for the encouragement Brian - yes he definitely dances to his own tune. Greg - I'll do what I can!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

@yellow10: Ward's attitude regarding the RAF mirrors that of the US Navy when they returned to Pearl Harbor after Midway to find the Air Force had already claimed their B-17s won the battle.

These are great choices for the GB.