Roden 1/48 Gladiator I

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 115 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Gladiator, Gloster, Roden, Valeriy Grygorenko
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Canopy frames and rear wheel rim painted (corrections needed)...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Some brilliant work with the silver finish and rigging Spiros. Everything gets painted and the stretched sprue would take well to paint. My concern now are the decals, I'm pretty sure I have the same vintage decals. If you had to do it all again how would you treat the decals? Maybe a coating of Pledge or Floor Shine or what ever they call it these days?

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 1 month ago:

looks very good in NMF!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tephen-w-towle! It is believed that a coat of clear varnish, or, even better, liquid decal film, such as the product from Microscale, might help. However, honestly, I had no luck in the past with the above methods, which, I believe, work more in a preventive manner, meaning coating the decal sheet BEFORE it is compromised by aging. Anyway, you have nothing to lose by trying (I would not apply Future/Pledge onto the decal sheet, since it contains water and might affect it).

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

Engine and exhausts attached...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Cockpit almost done...

...and wheels on... Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Found this while doing research . . .

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great pic, my friend @stephen-w-towle! This is one of the two Mk.Is that benefactor Stilianos Sarpakis donated to Greece before the war.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

You decal adventures make me glad I have the Pheon sheet.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Some great progress done, Spiros @fiveten
    The engine and cowling look great, as well as the exhausts.
    I'm impressed by looking in detail at how straight the rigging is and the clean connections to the wings.

• Profile Photo

Indeed, my friend @tcinla! The decal session was a partially agonizing session...
    The specific decals (since not all Roden decals were perfect) would have surely behaved like a dream some 20 years ago, when new...

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Gladiators (at least a good number of them, including my scheme) featured a distinctive gunsight which was supported by four rods in position. It is well represented by the kit, apart from the glass part, which is not provided and was represented by an acetate piece...

Thanks for stopping by!