Putty/filler applicator (sort of spatula)

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 9 · 1 year ago · applicator, Filler, Putty, spatula, tips, tricks
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Here is my putty/filler applicator...

made of those beloved old fashioned razor blades...
    First, carefully and very thoroughly file off the blade's cutting areas with a rasp so they become blant then cut the blade in half with strong cutters and then cut their flat ends at your desired angle. Re-file everything so nothing will cut you whatsoever!Here is how I use it...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great usage of those blades, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Good idea Spiros but where did you find the blades ,must have been an antique shop !

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @neil-foster! Surprisingly, these are commercially available at supermarkets, at least here in Greece. This is their latest (last month) packaging...

. Price is something like €2 for a package including five blades. I just noticed they are made in Greece, which might explain their non-existence in othe places, also indicating that their production will stop soon? 🤔

Nevertheless, it might be possible to "fabricate" such a "spatule" from a similar thin metal foil-style piece and, of course, I will be more than happy to send you a pack of those razor blades.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@neil-foster, in the Netherlands you can buy them as well, an example are the Gillette blades.
    Five pieces for €2,30. In most cases those packages do look quite antique.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I remember my dad using a razor that had these blades, you twisted the handle and the head opened to accept the blade then you closed it to shave , he always ended up with at least one bit of toilet tissue stuck to his face with blood where it cut him ! , didn't know they are still available , good tip by the way mate.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Now thats clever @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @neil-foster and @bikequeen!