Silly Putty for masking complex parts

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 11 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I'm not sure how many people use this technique or even where I found it myself... but I thought I'd share. I put away this beautiful 1:32 Tamiya F16CJ several years ago when I got to the point of needing to mask off the landing gear bays and other complex areas. I couldn't figure out how to just use masking tape and didn't know any other way, so on the shelf it went. Well, fast forward several years and I'm doing far more with the hobby than I've ever done before. I used the Silly Putty to do some masking on a large scale Hulk model, so I decided I get the F16 out of moth balls, so to speak, and give it a shot. It seems like it's going to work amazingly well actually. It looks incredibly strange and fleshy, but whatever works... and it's cheap and super reusable!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

It works well for tight feather edge separation of camouflage colors too.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This stuff works really well, Brian @brithebuilder
    Never used it like you did though, but this is a great practicle solution.
    Thanks for sharing this.

• Profile Photo

@j-healy - I was hoping that would be the case. This scheme (Block 50) has soft lines separating the grays on the upper fuselage. I didn't want to mask with tape and get a hard edge and I don't love airbrushing, maybe I should just practice, but then I realized the silly putty should work for that as well.

@johnb - how then do you use Silly Putty? Camouflage as well?

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Hi Brian. Paint the first camo color on the plane. Roll the silly putty into thin “snakes” and lay it onto the plane following the camo pattern. Spray your second color. Remember to spray close and perpendicular to the silly putty to get the fine feather edge. You can mask the first color with paper or tape if you want but my Paasche Talon dials down enough that I rarely get over spray. If need be I touch up with the first color.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder, Hi Brian, I use this silly putty (or patafix) mainly to create the demarcation lines between camouflage colors. Also used it to create dots in the camoufage for my latest build. Just the way like explained by John @j-healy. The thinner your "snakes" are, the sharper the demarcation line wil be.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 3 months ago:

A friend in Mexico taught me to use moistened toilet tissue, I thought he was nuts but it works GREAT can be molded to any shape and around any tiny part and especially in gear wells and cockpits @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo

@j-healy thats a great idea!

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - Thanks Cricket! I'm going to have to try that. Is there any issue with it sticking to the surfaces or does it come off clean?

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder Pulls away clean sometimes a tiny piece remains but comes right off with tweezers…it’s an amazing technique

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen, a very interesting technique, definitely going to try this.