Douglas B-26K Counter Invader in 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 125 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Some great progress done, Chuck @uscusn
    The cooling scoop is a nice detail on this variant.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Really great progress, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Long time off this project. Yes John an overlooked detail that is prominent on the RH side of the fuselage.
    Thanks Spiros, will get back in the saddle on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

With the basic wings assembled, I put them off to the side and start to assemble the nose. The kit nose is off shape wise. Some can live with it, it is not a deal breaker. However I am not really a stickler for such details, I built the Monogram B-26B kit with some say it is way wide in shape. Yet it still builds to a nice model, despite that some think it is a deal breaker, everyone is entitled. But since it was available and not unreasonably priced, I went ahead and got the Vector replacement nose. It is an easy replacement no surgery required to install it.

It comes in halves, with easy to remove resin stubs. It is quite sturdy with the moulding panel lines neatly engraved that are accurate.

Easy to assemble using cyano cement to mate the halves. An easy to fill seam will be necessary no matter how careful I was.

Let it set as I temporarily tape it to the front of the fuselage.

After sitting for 24 hours I add some weight into the empty nose. This should be sufficient to keep the nose on its front strut assy.

Carefully attaching the nose with the weight, not such an easy task despite the quick setting Cyano Cement, Making sure it is aligned and not crooked.

Finally some white resin filler is applied and set.

Next up to work on the nose cleaning up the seams, and back to the wings.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

The resin nose is definitely a great improvement, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

This resin nose looks perfect, Chuck @uscusn
    As you said, the amount of corrections is not too bad.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks Spiros, steadily coming along.
    Thanks John it does give a better profile, though seeing the actual kit nose on another WIP is not so bad as some have mentioned.
    Thanks David, so far it has been a fulfilling project.

• Profile Photo

Just a note that I received the Hyperscal resin wheels today in the mail. The wheels are perfect as well as the much better tires. Here is a quick look at the set.

A nice box with an illustration of the contents.

A pair of zip lock mini bags with the parts safely stashed in the baggies. And a well written instruction sheet with images and directions in prepping the wheels and assembly

The main and nose wheels still in their block, these should be easy to remove and clean up before assembling the set.

The tires are excellent, tread and side details, are well defined.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Those are indeed excellent parts, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

My set arrived yesterday. Just what I have been searching for Chuck@uscusn. The wheels are indeed perfect and the tires are very good although the sidewall markings are a bit soft but I would rather have that than overdone. Thanks for mentioning Hypersonic over on David Butler's WIP Counter Invader thread. That's why I ordered these.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent wheels, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John finally some one produced the correct wheels.
    Hi Eric, about the same day I recieved my set, they look real good, I went back to look at the tires, which at least I can read the details. I guess that is the best you can do with resin, still much better than what ICM provides. Thanks I was hoping to help him out and encourage an outstanding build he has going so far.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, a great detail that is quite prominent on the Counter Invader.

• Profile Photo

Nose is on still needs a bit of clean up, in the meantime back to finishing up the wings with the flaps and airlerons.

First to assemble the flaps.

Next to assemble the inner flaps and then attach them to the wings.

The ailerons are next to be assembled then will be attached in the neutral position.

Next the wings are slipped over the wingspar to check fit on both sides. This is temporary not yet glued in place.

Now to assemble the nacelles.

I will leave the doors off for now and install them towards the end of the build. They can be left off for now and install later.

Interior of the wheel bay is Interior Green. A little wash to enhance the details.

Next is to mate both halves once the front and rear gear bay walls are installed.

The fit is ok on the nacelles and are ready to be attached to the wing.

Like David's B-26K, the one nacelle on the LH side fits well, but the RH side has bit of a gap at the rear edge join to the wing. I had the same issue with that on the B-26C.

The wing tip tanks are ok and will use them. Really don't see the need to replace them. The fit is solid and no issues.

Finally the wings are permanently installed to the fuselage creating that look unique to this variant.

Seems like the fit is not the greatest, The RH wing to the fuselage is perfect, I have a noticeable gab on the LH side contact point so will need to fix that.

Next to install the upper deck panel and the rear lower fuselage insert.

More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.