1/32 HA-1112 M1L Buchon conversion from Buchon Scale Models

Started by Tom Cleaver · 36 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Now that the decals arrived, I'll proceed with the review of the Buchon Scale Models 1/32 HA-1112 M1L "Buchon."

This resin conversion was designed by well-known digital aviation artist Ronnie Olsthoorn. There are no accurate drawings of this version, but Ronnie has developed a way to digitally measure photos (don't ask me how) with the result that he can get very accurate data for three-dimensional images and creation of plans for 3D objects (like this).

This conversion kit is significantly more accurate in shape and outline than the Greymatters kit I did a few years back and had to modify. It is also far easier (very modeler-friendly) to assemble. For instance, there are four parts to the entire nose section. All modification cuts to the donor Hasegawa kit (it uses any of the Hasegawa Bf-109G-2-G6 kits) are made on panel lines, and with care there will be a minimum of filler needed anywhere. In this case, I used the Promodeler release of the Bf-109G-4.

Photos here show the modification to the donor kit fuselage, lower center section and wings, and assembly and test-fitting of the nose parts. I modified the cowling with a piece of Evergreen sheet to extend the roof of the radiator intake deeper inside, which improves the look.

Overall, this is such an easy conversion it could be recommended to any modeler who can wield a razor saw accurately as a first resin conversion.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I have admired Ronnie's beautiful works, since his first attempts in the awesome Luft46 site.
    Having "met" him through social networking recently, I am a warm follower; his works are simply amazing, so it's not a surprise that this conversion's design is of high standard.
    Thanks for this review, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

The fitting seems indeed very nicely.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

It looks like the resin parts will be a perfect fit, Tom (@tcinla). Looking forward to the rest of the build. What decals and paint scheme did you decide to use?

• Profile Photo

George = gonna do the sky blue lowers/silver uppers option. I did the overall blue when I did the Greymatter Buchon.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wings done. The photoetch panels go on easily. I have the mounting holes made for the rocket racks. Test-fitted the whole wing subassembly and it goes together perfectly. Having done the wings before for the Tripala, it was easy. For anyone who can follow the very clear instructions, it will be easy too.

The cockpit was also painted, now for detailing and doing seatbelts, then on to assembling the fuselage subassembly.

• Profile Photo

Looking good, Tom.

• Profile Photo

Yay! Everything comes together and fits right!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Can't wait for the 1/48 version.

• Profile Photo

Coming together...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

The paint scheme sounds great, and the decals will be a great contrast, Tom (@tcinla).

• Profile Photo

Here's assembly of the fuselage. The cockpit is from the Buchon Scale Models kit, done in resin to make the changes for the HA-1112 M1L. I used Eduard photoetch seatbelts and rudder pedals.

Compare the side profile of the cowling attached to the fuselage with the photo above of the Greymatter conversion and you can see how "off" the Greymatter kit is.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And here is the model fully assembled with wings and horizontal stabilizers attached and cockpit canopy parts attached. I used a piece of Evergreen sheet plastic instead of the photoetch part for the radiator cooler exhaust flap.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Fitting nicely, Tom.
    Looking forward to the end result.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, Tom!
    The differences between this and the Greymatter conversion are more than obvious, when compared side by side.