1/48 Airfix Gannet.

Started by John Healy · 68 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Flashback to late November, 2023. When my most excellent bride heard me discussing the new Airfix Gannet with a friend, she knew I really wanted one. She heard me lamenting the fact that the usual suspects in the US probably wouldn’t get them until Spring or Summer of ‘24 at best. She tracked one down from a hobby shop in the UK as a Christmas gift for me! Needless to say I was really surprised to see this treasure arriving in south Alabama so soon and couldn’t wait to start it. All I can say is, what a kit. Here’s the result of the first two day’s work on it.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entry and awesome progress so far, my friend @j-healy!
    What a great Christmas present!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

I'm green with envy @j-healy. It looks as good as I hoped it would.

I'll definitely be following this to see what develops and what the result is.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

You clearly had a wonderful Christmas, John @j-healy
    Fantastic entry and ditto start.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Really jealous for your new kit, John (@j-healy). I have always liked this plane and have been waiting for it to show up in the US. Kit looks very nice and looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

I got most of the interior together today. Everything fits like a glove. The base color is Tamiya NATO black. Straight black would make everything very difficult to see. Airfix provides a decal instrument panel (which I much prefer to PE), and enough placards and radar screen faces to provide interest. Add a little gray drybrushing and it really pops. I also fabricated a throttle and painted it red as reference photos show. Seat belts tommorow. The real challenge is going to be getting enough nose weight in this one. It’s really tail heavy. Airfix provides two plastic trays to hold weight which I omitted. I figure they waste valuable space. Interestingly, the instructions only mention the tray under the second cockpit.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Excellent job so far, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent work on the cockpits, @j-healy. Use the blue seatbelts, according to some photos a guy who worked on one posted over at The Other Place.

• Profile Photo

The interior looks really impressive, John @j-healy
    Never heard about the Liquid Gravity stuff, does it have the same weight as lead.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Ditto from me, John @j-healy. Interior is looking really nice. A black interior is always a challenge, but you have really pulled it off. I have heard Gannets can be real tail-sitters, so I am looking forward to see how it works for you.. I have seen Liquid Gravity used successfully in several magazine articles, but have never tried it myself.

• Profile Photo

I was a little surprised to see Airfix call for a black nose wheel well. A little online research confirmed black to be the right color. I also learned more than I thought I’d ever know about Fairey Gannet main wheel wells. Gannet AS models could come from the factory with either Sky or deep green wheel wells. The overall silver painted trainers were delivered with silver wells. Repaints could be Sky or silver for all models. I decided to go with green for mine just to be different. An exhaustive inventory of my paint supply yielded Mr. Color Kawanishi green as an exact match for the photos I saw. Airfix went to great lengths to detail the wheel wells and some careful painting will make it stand out.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

John as the saying goes, "A happy wife is a happy life." Good to read about a supportive partner taking a interest in the hobby. I second the comment about "Green with envy." Finding a Airfix Gannet in the states at a brick and mortar shop is like looking for a Unicorn. Some great progress on a interesting subject for most Yanks is off the radar.

• Profile Photo

The liquid gravity is actually very small metal balls. It will get into those nooks and crannies that are too small for regular weights. It’s very dense. Not sure exactly what material it’s made from.

• Profile Photo

Great research on the wheel wells, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo

Great progress and ditto research, my friend @j-healy!