1/48 Airfix Gannet.

Started by John Healy · 68 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

I like the dark green wheel wells, John @j-healy. The detail looks really nice.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Belts in, weighting process started, fuselage closed. I used four bullet sinkers in the compartment under the second cockpit. After fixing them with CA, I filled the remaining area with liquid gravity and saturated the whole compartment with thinned white glue. I balanced the plane out with tail surfaces and wings taped on from the point on the fuselage that corresponds to the location of the main gear struts. I think there’s enough room in the nose to make it sit on all three gear points. Liquid gravity was also useful for filling the rear of the turbine face pieces. I also filled the forward part of the torpedoes with weight. These will sit in the weapons bay under the second cockpit. If need be, I can get extra weight in the wing leading edges, in front of the pilot’s IP, and even a bit inside the spinner. I omitted a small window at the rear of the starboard fuselage to save weight. This can be added with Testors liquid window maker/canopy glue later.

17 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent job do far, my friend @j-healy! Awesome positioning of weights!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice progress, John @j-healy
    Looks like all the added weigth should be sufficient.

• Profile Photo

Wing day! I almost feel guilty building this with wings extended, given the beauty of the parts Airfix provides for the folded option. They really look a cut above any other kit that I’ve seen that features this option. But the fact remains that I prefer planes with wings extended. Again, I can’t tell you enough how well this kit fits. Everything about it screams quality. It really reminds me of the Wingnut Wing kits I built, except with better decals….. Everything fits so snugly that I think I can paint the wings and stabilizers separate from the fuselage if I’m careful about paint build up.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Progressing nicely, John @j-healy
    Maybe you can go for a second one and build that with wings folded.

• Profile Photo

That might have to happen, John!

• Profile Photo

Excellent progress, my friend @j-healy! Always a crossroads when having to choose extended or folded wings!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

I have heard that getting enough weight into the nose is a problem on this plane, John @j-healy. You have done all you can to insure it sits on all 3 wheels. Cockpit looks great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George, John, and Spiros. It’s close to balancing now. Plenty of room in the nose to get it over the top. I’m going to let the glue on the seams set up for a few days, sand them and start painting hopefully on Sunday or Monday. It’ll go fast from here on out. It’s really gone quickly considering how many parts it has. Lots of plastic in that box.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Coming together nicely, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John W Summerford said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Wow! You've made great progress. I also got that kit and I'm gonna have to put it at the front of the que.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, John @j-healy
    You should be safe with just a bit more weight.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

This model looks huge, John (@j-healy). I have read that it takes a lot of weight in the nose to keep the front wheel on the ground.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

I thought I’d be painting by today but it wasn’t meant to be. The nose is now filled with weight. Don’t ask how much as I’ve lost track, lol. Fishing weights, coins, and lots of liquid gravity. While the weight sets up, I’m working on subassemblies like the landing gear. Weapons next.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.