1/48 Airfix Gannet.

Started by John Healy · 68 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Such a fun kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Great paintwork, John @j-healy
    When finished this crack will be barely visible.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 1 week ago:

I hadn't noticed how large this model will be when completed, John (@j-healy). The paint seems to be going on very well. Some Future or Looks Like Glass may fix the crack in your canopy. I always worry when working with clear parts because the plastic is always more brittle than the other plastic in the kit.

• Profile Photo

Airframe complete and some work on the torpedoes and sonobouys today. I’m hoping to have this finished in about a week.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Woo! Great work @j-healy! Can't wait for them to get across the pond.

For those interested, Sword asked me if I would like a copy of the Gannet AEW.3 to review. Of course I said yes. I'll do a WIP here when it arrives.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress so far, my friend @j-healy! Looking forward to the Sword build, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Looking forward to the Sword Gannet, Tom. Tell them they need to scale that RF-8 up to 1/48😉.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Progressing nicely, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 months ago:

Decal day. Airfix provides high quality decals for three Royal Navy options, all in Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky. Knowing that I had a Classic Airframes Gannet sheet in the decal dungeon, I decided to do something a little different. I chose CA’s Australian option because A.) the red Roo roundel is cool, and B.) it features a colorful green and yellow spinner.

I purchased two bags of CA decals at a show for $3 each several years ago. This purchase included markings for over 50 different planes and I’ve used them for 5-6 projects so far. Finding stuff like this is the highlight of shows for me.

I’ll put the Airfix stencils on tonight and will most likely finish the Gannet by Wednesday.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Excellent choice of decals, my friend @j-healy! Your Gannet looks superb and ready to cross the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

Nice work on the decals, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months ago:

You are right, John (@j-healy), the decals really do look cool. I have always like the "kangaroo" decals. It is good to have stuff like this lurking in your spares.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 months ago:

Lots of tiny stencils on this one. The home stretch is taking a little longer than I anticipated.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Beautiful job, my friend @j-healy!
    Oh, my! The Gannet's whole technical publication seems to have been applied at the plane - so many stencils 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

That's indeed a lot of stencils, John @j-healy
    Each of them applied nicely.