1/48 F-16F Block 60 Desert Falcon

Started by Michael Turner · 32 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Another year, another club competition.

Last year, my modelling club had a "Fokk-off" competition to build the newly released Meng Fokker Dr.1 (See my build log here: https://imodeler.com/groups/imperial-german-air-service-luftwaffe-group-build-may-1st-1910-to-present-day/forum/topic/meng-fokker-dr-1/?topic_page=1&num=15&_wpnonce=f6980240ac).

Judging for that build is next month.

This year we are having a "Falc-on" where club members have to build an F-16 Falcon kit of their choice.

This is mine - the Hasegawa F-16F (Block 60) "Fighting Falcon.

I bought this second-hand on line and it came with a Wolfpack "F-16F Block60 'UAE' Cockpit Set" which is intended for the Kinetic kit. We will see how well it fits the Hasegawa kit.

The development of the F-16 Block 60 was and paid for by the UAE and was the most advanced version of the F-16 at the time of its IOC in 2004.

It was this version that was under consideration for replacing the RAAF F/A-18A/B and F-111C/G as part of the AIR 6000 program that eventually led to the selection of the F-35A Lightning II.

I will therefore be building this aircraft as the third of my RAAF AIR 6000 "What-If" series.

The other two are here:

What if… RAAF JAS-39 Gripen
    What-if… RAAF Dassault Rafale
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @michaelt!
    Looking forward to see some progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to that Falcon, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I've made a start on the cockpit and just about ready to assemble it into the fuselage.
    The resin cockpit is designed for the Kinetic kit and is a little short for the Hasegawa kit.
    The fourth photo shows the cut I had to make to remove the cockpit coamings.
    The cockpit tub comes in two main parts - front and rear - and you can see the huge pour stubs on the edge of the photo.

Side walls are provided separately with the right side including the arm rests in the retracted position.
    The F-16 uses a side-stick control that doesn't move. Instead transducers detect the force applied by the pilot and translate that to pitch and roll commands. For comfort, the pilot is provided with two arm rests for his right arm.
    The throttle control on the left does move conventionally, however.

The resin cockpit doesn't come with either joystick or throttle so I had to trim the kit parts to fit. Neither look like the real thing with the throttle being an odd ball shape. This is probably because the kit is also designed to allow the supplied crew to be placed in the cockpit with hands on stick and throttle.

I also had to use the kit rudder pedals.

I needed to remove a portion of the lower fuselage to accommodate the rear cockpit, as can be seen in the first photo . I intend to make a FOD cover for the intake, so the underside of the cockpit won't be seen when finished.

I have yet to cut the pour gates off the ejection seats and you can see how large they are.

My friend Les lent me an excellent reference on the F-16, "F-16 Fighting Falcon: Flying in Air Forces around the World: by Duke Hawkins.
    It includes pics of F-16Fs, although not of their cockpit, and I've used the older model cockpit photos as references for my painting.
    I'll also use it as a reference to detail the rather sparse wheel wells.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Your usual excellent results are evident also here, my friend @michaelt! Cockpit looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

The interior looks superb, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 5 months ago:

The cockpit is now assembled an awaiting the seats and HUD glass.
    I've also started scratch detailing the undercarriage bay based upon photos in the reference book above.
    Then I'll close the fuselage up.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great job on both cockpit and MLG bay, my friend @michaelt! The F-16 main bay is ultra-busy, and the more work you put into it the better it looks!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Very nice work done on the cockpit and main gear bay, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 12 months ago:

I've finally gotten back to my F-16 - it needs to be completed by the second Sunday in December.
    I've added a bit more detail to the main undercarriage bay.
    I could add more wires and bits and pieces, but figuring out where they go is hard, even with photos of the real thing.
    I think this looks busy enough to give the right impression once I add the gear legs, doors and linkages.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I've just realised that since my previous post I have also added the engine intake and filled an unwanted vent just forward of the starboard landing gear well. This was filled, along with some sink marks with several applications of 'sprue goo'.
    The two large vents were then added as can be seen in the above photos.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 12 months ago:

F16s always look good, Michael @michaelt, and this one is looking good already, hope you get it ready in time for the competition.

• Profile Photo

G'day George (@chinesegeorge),
    Thanks for looking.
    This one is going to be as far from the original, elegant F-16 concept, a light dog fighter, that you can get.
    I haven't decided on a colour scheme yet, but as it is a 'what if' build it will be unique.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Good that you recommenced work on this, my friend @michaelt!
    Looks good indeed!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Beautiful re-start, Michael @michaelt
    The wheelbays look great.