1/48 Hobby Boss YF-23 ATF

Started by David Kopielski · 24 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 3 months, 1 week ago:

The seventh week has the YF-23 fuselage together. To start off I should note that the instructions state to install the cockpit assembly to the lower half. Due to the modifications to the cockpit tub it was a lot easier to align and install the cockpit tub to the top half. I then assembled the two halves together. There are a lot of small gaps along the edges especially large were the underside of the tail. The nose had some minor gaps as well. The intake and exhaust was very good and lined up well.

I used Tamiya fine white putty to fill these gaps. Once dry I wet sanded the areas with 600 grit sandpaper. While the putty was drying I assembled the wings and tail. The wings also had a large gap on the underside as well. More putty and sanding. The tails had no fit issues. The tails just press into the fuselage without glue and they fit just fine. The tail pivot points are very good. There is no slop in the fit so they can move without any wobbling.

Next I installed the wings to the fuselage. The topside fit was good with only some minor putty. The port side on the bottom was not bad as well. However the starboard side had a gap along the entire edge. I the re-scribed the panel lines and scribed the lines for the moveable surfaces (flaps, slats, ailerons, etc.) a little deeper to define them better.

I am now adding the finer details onto the fuselage like pitot tubes and antenna’s. I then need to mask off the cockpit, landing gear bays, intake, and exhaust areas to start painting. The scheme for PAV2 is light ghost grey with dark ghost grey camouflage. I need to also make a couple of masks for the exhaust area. The exhaust area has a lot of small panels and the reference photos show many panels vary in color. Should have all the painting completed over the next week and possibly starting the decals.

You can see all the photos and detail of this start in the build log at: https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-yf-23-atf-black-widow-ii/

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

All looking very smooth, David @davids_models
    This aircraft is much bigger in 1/48 than I expected.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @davids_models!

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 3 months ago:

Eighth week of the YF-23 I had minimal time on the bench. I had some other things to take care of as I will be attending the 2024 IPMS Convention in Madison Wisconsin. I worked on the landing gear and started with a base coat of the fuselage painting.
    Starting with the port side main landing gear I opted to use the kit pieces. I have had a few folks tell me that the metal main struts due to the angle and weight of the model over time tend to sag. After reviewing the reference photos I made the main gear ID plate decals and then I used some 30 gauge wire for the hydraulic lines on the strut. The port gear assembly was then installed into the fuselage. The nose gear I did use the metal strut. After some minor clean up I installed the nose gear. I did have to add some plastic to the flat side of the metal strut ad the mounting hole was a little larger than the tab on the metal strut.
    For the fuselage I found some photo etch blade antennas. One went on the spine and the other was mounted on the underside near the fuel dump outlet. I then base coat painted the fuselage and tails with the Light Ghost Grey paint. The tails and the underside were then camouflaged with the Dark Ghost Grey. Since I am using the Caracal decals I used their paint guide which matches the reference photos. One thing to note is the reference photos of PAV2 show a section on the underside between the intakes also had a Dark Ghost Grey patch. However, some of the photos do not show it painted. I am looking up some of the sources to find out when this was added or removed during the flight testing. From the reference book it looks like it may have been added sometime after initial flight test. There is a photo of it during first flight that kind of looks like it was not there and later in the book when they did the mid-air refueling testing along with the YF-22 it was there. I have not decided if I will add it yet or not. I still have the topside of the fuselage to paint with the Dark Ghost Grey so I will decide then.
    Right now I am working on the starboard side main gear and then I will detail the landing gear doors. Another thing to note is on the inside of the nose gear door one aircraft had “SPIDER” on it and the other had “Grey Ghost” Caracal states the SPIDER was on PAV2 and Grey Ghost on PAV1. I would have thought that PAV1 being the dark grey with the red hour glass would have been Spider and PAV2 with the Lo-Vis scheme would be Grey Ghost. I need to look thru the book and verify this. Caracal does provide both. Actually Caracal provides enough decals to do BOTH aircraft in case you want to build both versions.

You can see all the photos and detail from the start in the build log at: https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-yf-23-atf-black-widow-ii/

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @davids_models!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

Some nice work done, David @davids_models

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

After nine weeks the 1/48 Hobby Boss YF-23 ATF is complete. To start with I finished the base coat painting on the topside and the exhaust ducts. I weathered the exhaust ducts with some pastel chalk using black, dark grey, and dark yellow. The Caracal decals were then applied for the PAV-2 scheme. With the decals added I then added the small blade antenna under the nose and painted it international orange to match the reference photos. I also added the light on the top of the spine just forward of the blade antenna.

Next I scratch built and detailed the canopy. I used photo etch mirrors on the front edge and then using sheet styrene I built the rear canopy deck. I used some photo etch to make the canopy locks and styrene rods for the canopy lift. A little bit of wiring and the canopy was ready to be installed. I installed the kit HUD and windscreen. This was the last addition to make the build complete. I added the model onto a round base because of where I plan on displaying the model.

This build was an interesting build. The kit itself has some detail issues like the antennas, no option to make the canopy open, and no open bomb bay. The fuselage shape is off as well. The Caracal decals do provide accurate decals however the decal film is a little thick. Once the aircraft was top coated the clear areas of the decal film seemed to darkened a bit. The kit instructions are laid out very well and in the end I am happy with the end result. Thank you for following this build and happy modeling!

You can see all the photos and details from the start to finish in the build log at: https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-yf-23-atf-black-widow-ii/

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent result and a well deserved headline article, David @davids_models

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent result, my friend @davids_models! Looks fantastic on the headlines!