1/48 Monogram A-26 C

Started by David Butler · 6 · 1 week ago · . 1/48, Invader, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    David Butler said 1 week, 3 days ago:

A few weeks ago I recently resumed building on my long shelved ICM B-26k counter invader from over a year ago. For reasons I can't explain I was randomly browsing the Ebay and put an offer of $30 for an unopened 1/48 Monogram A-26C with extra decals, and a eduard interior photo etched set. The offer was accepted so I decided to build the

Monogram and then paint both Invaders at the same time. Here is my work so far on the Monogram. I made a few changes to the kit and pirated a part or two from the ICM spares. I removed the wonky tractor seat in the cockpit and installed a folded seat in the stowed position instead. I also cut out the rear crew access door and will pose it open. The ICM kit may be newer and have more bells and whistles but the Monogram kit, shape issues aside is still a nice option.

Unfortunately the nice decals that were supplied by Aeromaster wont work

- I need decals that are for a glass nosed A-26C with the bottom turret removed, so if any of you people out there in model land have an applicable set and would be interested in trading let me know!

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Sign me up for this one, David (@dbutlr). One of my favorite bombers, and I have both the gun nose and the glass nose versions of the Monogram kit. I will be taking lots of notes. Cockpit looks really good. Have you found a good place for some weight in the nose?

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Million dollar question right there @gblair, I'm still thinking it over so I am trying to kick the can down the road by working on some of the other subassemblies- I've seen someone else on the internet put weights in between the instrument panel and bombadier/navigator bulkhead along with extra weight in the engine nacelles. Anyone else who has built this kit have suggestions?

I'm almost tempted to just build a base and permanently secure it thereby negating the need for weight. Thoughts?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Hi, David (@dbutlr): Planes like the glass-nose B-26 are tough for finding space for weight. I built a glass-nose B-25 not long ago, and managed to cram some heavy washers under the floor in the nose. I also closed the bomb bay so I could add some weight there forward of the landing gear. You might find room behind the cockpit bulkhead, and as a last resort, there is always the front of the engine nacelles. The only problem with attaching it to a base is that you are permanently stuck with a big chunk of wood that takes up a ton of space on the shelf. Good luck.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Excellent entry and ditto progress, my friend @dbutlr! I would try to stuff some weight in the fuselage where it would be invisible, but, mainly, I would add to the nacelles as much as I could.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Great entry and what a beautiful start made on that interior, David @dbutlr