1/48 Monogram SNJ.

Started by John Healy · 62 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

You did great on this interior, John @j-healy
    Really impressed with what you achieved with these poor provided parts.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years ago:

A great kit ,a great aircraft, and a great job by you. I learned basic airframe mechanics on old SNJ's in high school.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years ago:

Looking good John, built a Mosquito version of it for the Korean War GB, had lots of fun and I'm sure you will as well.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Like the Tiger Moth, this one will have to wait for paint next month. This as far as she goes for now. Again, overall fit is pretty impressive and will only need a small amount of Mr. Surfacer in a few places. If you build one of these, check your references . Some of the planes at Barin had the tall mast antenna, some didn’t, like mine. They all had the gun cowl. This one will be fun to paint and weather. These SNJs were ridden hard and phots show this plane surprisingly beat up. Finally, I snapped a couple pics of modern T-6 Texan IIs circling Barin Field for landing yesterday. As you can see, Hurricane Sally did a number on the periphery of the field.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Nicely put together, @j-healy!
    Looking forward to the painting, patiently waiting for a month to pass.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Nice work, John (@j-healy). Looking forward to the paint and decals.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Great step, John.
    Difficult to wait such a long time.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I didn’t forget about the SNJ. I installed a hook from the spares box, cut to size. I think it came from a Hobby Boss Hellcat that is a truly awful kit dimension wise. I bought it from the late Squadron for $8 during a sale because I wanted the decals. The hinge housing is cut from sprue. I’ll shape it some more when it dries. I also purchased a Montex mask set for this kit last week. I normally shy away from vinyl masks but tried this one out for $4.99 from Scott’s Model Workshop Ebay site. He has an unbelievable stock of Montex products designed for older kits, which is very cool!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

These are nice steps, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The canopy masks are a great acquisition, John (@j-healy). I have reached a place in my life where masks are a serious consideration, and I usually look at mask availability at the same time I look at buying a model. I don't mind vinyl masks as long as you are careful not to stretch them out of shape.

• Profile Photo

You’re right, George. I started using the masks on 1/72 bomber kits. I think the SNJ is a good candidate for their use too. My hand/eye coordination isn’t what it used to be.

• Profile Photo

Paint time. Mr. Color 329 over Tamiya white primer. I’m a little stumped about the wheel well colors. Photos of Barin Field SNJs all feature aluminum landing gear struts, while Pensacola’s SNJs are usually yellow. No clear pics of the bays of course. I’m inclined to go with yellow for the bays and of course silver struts. The canopy frame on my subject is silver, so assuming the interior of the frames was interior green. However, could they be black? Any input is appreciated.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice paintwork, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, John (@j-healy). T-6s look awesome in trainer yellow. The interiors I have seen were chromate green, although I am sure there was some variation.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Build is looking real good, John (@j-healy). Great looking paint work there, glad to see you got back to this build.