1/48 Monogram SNJ.

Started by John Healy · 62 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, John. The weakest part of these older kits is often the clear sprue.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@j-healy - yes, the Squadron vac canopy is a must. Go to DecalCorps on eBay - it's $7.50 plus $3 shipping. And worth every penny. Four-day delivery.

• Profile Photo

You’re right Tom. It’s a must for this kit. Really the only lousy part of the kit. I’ve bought stuff from Decal Supply Corps before, but they only had one in stock. I figured I better get two and ordered from a guy in Georgia.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @j-healy!
    And looking forard to the vacanopy!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I am also looking forward to your vacuform canopy, John (@j-healy). I have never had good luck with a vac canopy. Cutting out the canopy, masking it, and attaching it to the model seem to involve skills that elude me.

• Profile Photo

Vac canopy time! I just finished cutting the sections out this morning and it all went off without issue. The windscreen portion of the vac canopy is really flimsy. I’m going to use the kit windscreen as it’s the only part of the kit canopy that fits. I’ll stack the three center pieces and use the vac rear part. I think I’ll put this aside today and work on the Spitfire now. I’ll mask the SNJ canopy and paint it tomorrow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Those are some amazing skills, my friend @j-healy! You prepared the vac parts perfectly! Good decision to use the kit windscreen: the vac looks indeed flimsy...
    Yep, let your SNJ rest for a day...
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Fitting seems to be great, John.
    Take your time to get it done perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Good call I think - the kit screen looks just fine in the pictures. And the vac shells are great for the stacking part, keeping thickness down there. The build looks great with the decals and weathering and all @j-healy.

• Profile Photo

Nothing look cooler than an all-yellow Navy trainer with black markings, John (@j-healy). Canopies look great.

• Profile Photo

I finally got these masked and painted. I used the Montex masks designed for the kit. The fit was good on the side panes, rear portion, and of course the kit windscreen that I used. The masks for the curved top portions of the canopy were too small. Fortunately, the Montex set includes masks for the inside of the canopy too. I wasn’t about to attempt that on these vac canopies. I used the masks intended for the insides of the upper canopy to extend the those on the outside.

The Montex set is designed for the T-6G which featured canopies without a frame in he middle of the side panels. I simply painted the four missing frames by hand , masked with tape after I sprayed the canopies. I sprayed flat black, and then silver with a couple of passes with Tamiya spray cans. I’m happy the way they turned out. The Montex vinyl masks performed better then I expected. They do tend to lift off of compound curves, which is fixed by cutting the mask at the point where it lifts and pressing the vinyl back down. After a short drying time, I installed them. I also made landing light covers from tape at this point. Again the kit clear parts are pretty bad in that area too. I’ll post the plane on the main page later today. Thanks for following!

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Dispite the bad clear sprue, you turned her into a real beauty, John @j-healy.
    Taking your time definitely seemed to have worked in your advantage.

• Profile Photo

You did a wonderful job there, my friend @j-healy! The masks seemingly helped you a lot.
    Congratulations on your beautiful build! I am off to the headlines!

• Profile Photo

Looks really great, John (@j-healy), especially the canopies. All the extra work paid off. I have had good luck with Montex masks before, as long as you don't have to reposition them. Since they are vinyl, they tend to stretch if you have to move them.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George. I was pretty happy with the Montex set. Being used to tape,I wasn’t sure at first.