1/48 Revell B-25J USSR

Started by David Butler · 39 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Butler said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Update: wings glued on and rear stabilizers, seams sanded and some minor putty work begun

good news- wings/stabilizers are aligned nicely
    bad news- not enough nose weight- we have a tail sitter!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend@dbutlr! You might add some weight in the engine nacelles.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great progress, David @dbutlr.
    Maybe you can also make use of the not yet mounted nose wheel area to add some weight.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the suggestion, I will see what I can add!

• Profile Photo

Good idea @Spiros ! Thanks for the suggestion

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Good thinking on the canopy. The build is coming along nicely!

• Profile Photo

Update: still making progress but a bit slow this week

1) I've added weight to the not yet attached engine naccelles- thanks to Spiros and John for helping me think outside the box in this area

2) The nose section is compete and waiting for the canopy to be attached- the Quickboost barrels are a huge improvement over the kit barrels which end up being very noticeable in this area of the aircraft (picture is a bit blurry)

3) I used the kit engines and after some painting, dry brushing, and a wash they don't look half bad

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @dbutlr!
    Those engines look superb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Those weights should do the trick, David @dbutlr
    Engines look indeed very nice.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 2 years, 2 months ago:

It's been almost 4 weeks since I've posted. Progress has been slow, mostly sanding, breaking things off, repairing them, and then more sanding. This morning I finished up the tri color top. . . looking good, but there is a lot of clean up to do. Next up will be the black bottom, then weathering.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Coming together nicely, my friend @dbutlr!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

The tri-color looks really good, David @dbutlr

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@dbutlr - You can also add weight in the engine nacelles ahead of the landing gear for "insurance weight."

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Things were going very well, did some chipping, masking with sticky tack, and then a coat of future to seal the top against any scrapes or bumps while doing the bottom black. . . however, as I was airbrushing the future on, the brush had a random hiccup and future splashed out of the cup and on to the wingtip. I know that some of it will evaporate but it looks like it is going to leave droplets and raised streak marks. I am afraid to use Windex to take it off because it will take off the paint too. . .anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this?

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great so far, my friend @dbutlr! Regarding the Future mishap, to my knowledge, Future, once hardened, is very difficult to remove and any strong agent used will have a bad effect to the camo and, possibly, to the plastic underneath. Normally you should lightly sand the area to even the bumps, but almost definitely this will remove a good portion of the camo paint, meaning you will have to locally repaint and re-Future...

Before doing so, how about applying Future locally with a brush: it might even the bumps to an acceptable point (but be careful for it not to stagnate at places, as it will create even more "lumps"). If it works, it works, otherwise you might proceed to sanding and repainting.