1/48 Tamiya Mitsubishi G4M1 Type 11 Betty WWII PTO

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 88 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Already June, really the 6th month of the new year? Time has flown by as too even think the year feels new to me still. So time to do some catch up starting with Tam's great kit of the Mitsubishi Betty medium bomber. And she is quite large. So lets see whats in the box.

This moulding is not in the typical med grey plastic such as the D.520, Corsair and the current build Beaufighter, but in the Lt grey plastic like what was in the Dinah kit. Seems too me this plastic is a little softer than the darker grey and not as heavy for lack of a better word or description.

The instruction sheet is their familiar layout, color call outs in the Tamiya line of paints as guide. Marking for 5 different units. Which I have a Techmod sheet coming in for a little more colorful scheme.

The first sprue holds the LH/RH fuselage halves with fine engraved panel lines, and nicely detailed stringers inside each half.

Next sprue contains interior components, and 3 aircrew members.

The next 3 sets contains the wings, wings spar, tail stabs, and flaps. The wheel well detail is under each nacelle which is good here.

Next sprue is the floor and bulkheads. Tamiya seems to have thought this out when researching this plane and able to assemble it with as little construction issues as possible. Since their Lancaster, the Betty is their most ambitious model since. Of course the Hienkel Uhu was produced not long after the Betty.

The Betty can be built as a torpedo bomber or as a regular bomber. Haven't decided yet which way to go. It may come down to the scheme and what version the bomber is configured.

The engine components, props and wheel sprue which are 2 sets again good details, though I will go with resin wheels for this.

And finally the clear sprues which are excellent, just left in the bag for protection, and there is a lot of clear parts, this will be fun to mask.

Will get this one started soon. More to follow, thanks for viewing.

Chuck

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

You can count me in, Chuck; she's a rare bird in modeling terms and I'm looking forward to tagging along.
    As a bizarre coincidence (and tallking of tags), as it's June I was looking at Christmas decorations and found this...

Even I'm not quite so far gone that I'd decorate a tree with fighter planes. Although, as a theme in the 'den' come December...

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Nice choice Chuck

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck, what a great choice you made! Rarely did I saw this model made, online or upclose in person, and this includes my own kit, which is one of several Hangar Queens I have.

The only fault I see in this kit is the sparse detail Tamiya made inside the airframe. I mean, this bomber has a big glass house a several other clear parts that beg for a bit more detail.

I can recommend some AM guns if you wish to improve those parts. Good luck, a beautiful aircraft no matter what camouflage you choose for it.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Looks like a really nice kit to me. Although I've not built one, I rather think if I did, I'd do it up like that "surrender" scheme - all white with a green cross, wasn't it...? Or was that not a Betty I'm thinkin' of?

• Profile Photo

David-Leigh, I'm coming over for Christmas, not only for the ornaments but some Lancaster beer bottles. Lol, those are really detailed to say the least.

Thanks George. looking forward to getting this one started soon.

Pedro, unlike the Lancaster, if it's like their recent well not so recent releases, this may come along a little more quickly and not as labor intensive, it will probably depend more on me and how much time I dedicate to the interior.

Craig, thanks and yes that was a Betty in the surrender scheme of white w/green crosses

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck,
    You're correct that we do think alike. I pulled out the same kit down from the stash, a month or so ago and it is now on the "build" pile, along with a few Tamiya 1/48 Dinah's.

Wow this is great ! Count me in too. I'll get the popcorn ready. 🙂

Please keep us posted and if you happen to run into any "hiccups" along the way please post them up too ( if you don't mind).

I'll keep this build journal in mind as a resource for when I get cranking on mine. FYI, from the research I read online at J aircraft, those fellows over there State the Betty had a natural metal under sides. They supposedly were not painted in light gray on the bottom. Hope this helps.

This one is going to be another good one ...

And what happened to the first half of the year ? Man time is flying by.

• Profile Photo

This is my very first ever attempt on a Betty. In fact lately the last few kits this year have been models I have never attempted before. The D.520, Dinah, Euro Fighter and now the Betty. The Buccaneer is the 2nd one, 3rd Corsair, 2nd Lancaster. Looking forward to whats next.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

It's August already and time to start some work on the Betty,though I don't have everything yet, at least I can get some pre paint work done. First while airbrushing the black on the F-111, I used some leftover and airbrushed the engine faces and the interior of the engine cowls.

Next while airbrushing the steel portions of the Beaufighter. Again with the leftover paint, went ahead painted the engines, crankcase props and wheel hubs. Though I may still go with a resin set. But just in case went ahead airbrushed them anyway.

Next up airbrushing the interior components. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Nice update Chuck ! I'm happy to see you're back to work on this one... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis it is time to get crackin on this one finally. Just have some of the pre painting going on first. No actual assembling as yet.

• Profile Photo

While waiting for some stuff to come in the mail for this. I will start work on some sub assemblies, in this case the wings, engines and nacelles. First using Tamiya XF-71 for the Interior Green and gear bay components. Reading several reviews on the kit this is the closest color that matches the interior Grey/Green used by Mitsubishi. Tamiya suggests RLM 02 in the instructions.

Step 6 is where I will start working on the wings. The nacelle interior, gear bays and doors have already been painted with XF-71 Int Green. 4 parts make up this step which are the LH/RH upper lower halves of the wings. Both wings are assembled starting at the wing root and work my way out to the tips. Perfect fit all around.

Next to assemble the nacelles, wheel bay interior and doors. Step 7

8 parts make up this step. LH/RH nacelle halves, interior/gear door components. Starting with the LH nacelle.

Insert the LH gear bay detail and door, into one side of the nacelle, same process for the other half, sit for a bit. Do notice some light release marks on the interior details. A little wash of Burnt Sienna Enamel gives some depth. The fine rivet detail on the doors are well done.

One the LH side is assembled. Same procedure is followed for the RH side nacelle. All told 30 minutes to complete.

Next the engines and cowlings. Step 9

Each engine assy and cowling make up of 5 parts each side. Not shown is the Propeller vinyl insert that you slip into the engine crankcase cover.

Now Tamiya offers a choice of open or closed cowl flaps. I decided to do one of each. 1st up is the open cowl option, engine face is attached to the cowl ring. Make sure to line up the slot or you will not be able to install the cowl itself without a major fix. Or more annoying than major if your not paying attention.

After inserting the poly cap I then attach the crank case cover. And then the cowl is then attached to the whole assy. Again everything with no fuss if you follow the directions.

Now to repeat the same process for the other engine assy but this time with the closed cowl flap ring.

That completes this portion for now. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Having seen your Dinah (link below if anyone hasn’t had the pleasure) I’m really happy you are bumping this to the front of the queue.

http://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/tamiya-148th-mitsubishi-ki-46-recon-dinah-61045/

• Profile Photo

Hey DL, well it has been stewing all year long, due to it's size once you start getting the air frame together it would've been tough to have it going together next to the Lancaster which is quite large. Now that the Lanc is finished and in the house, more elbow room to start the Betty.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Very cool update Chuck !

Your work prompted me to pull mine down from the stash to have a peek at the plastic inside the box... It's a big plane !

I can see why you chose to finish the Lancaster first.

Looking good buddy... keep it going.