1/72 Heller KLM L-749 Constellation.

Started by John Healy · 35 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I’ve been itching to build this one since I got it last year. It’s a newly reissued Heller Connie with high quality decals! I always loved Heller kits back in the day but their decals usually weren’t very good even when new. No more of that. These are top notch. The KLM livery is very attractive and a nice change of pace from the TWA and Lufthansa Connies that are usually modeled.

Preliminary construction shows the kit still has decent fit but will require some filling and sanding. I built a Heller Super Connie long ago and I remember it fitting pretty well. I’m going to treat this as a semi-long term project due to the large amount of filling and sanding involved and build it concurrently with some smaller projects. That said, it should be done over the next couple of months.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

An amazing entry and solid progress already, my friend @j-healy!
    The decal sheet looks superb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great to see this iconic aircraft being build, John @j-healy
    It is an impressive aircraft, looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Go John! I'm strapped in to follow this plane coming to life through all the dust of sanded filler!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great choice, John @j-healy. This will be a great model of a really elegant plane. I have a Heller EC-121 that is near the top of the build queue, so I am ready to take notes.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 1 month ago:

More progress. Fuselage assembled. I reinforced the long joints with thin sheet stock. I also installed and puttied the windows as I’m going to use decals for these areas. Finally, I removed the pilots seats to make room for weight.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great progress, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Progressing nicely, John @j-healy
    Good idea to reinforce those long joints.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Already looks very cool, John (@j-healy). You are right about the amount of hurry-up-and-wait involved in this kit. I think it is a good plan to use decals for the cabin windows since masking the round windows would be tough. I would imagine it will take a lot of weight in the nose, so hopefully the nose gear will stand the strain.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year ago:

Thanks, guys. The windows would actually fit pretty good had I cut them into individual parts and installed them. However, the decals will look better with the NMF.

• Profile Photo

Filling and sanding continues. The deicer boots are bordered by really heavy raised lines. They need to go. I also noticed something that I’ve never seen before. The plastic on the trailing edge of the right wing delaminated a bit. More filler and sanding in that area.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Looking superb so far, my friend @j-healy! The delamination is really strange, I guess there is a first time for everything.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Progressing nicely, John @j-healy
    The delamination effect is pretty weird indeed but seems like you found a way to get that fixed nicely.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

The delamination is bizarre, John (@j-healy). I don't think I have ever seen that before. Perhaps the age of the plastic?

• Profile Photo

Brand new reissue, George. Purchased last year. First time for everything!