1/77 Monogram Ford Trimotor 4-AT

Started by George R Blair Jr · 67 · 2 years ago · 1/77, Ford Trimotor, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I wanted something quick and fun to build for my next project. I was at my local hobby store this morning and got this Monogram Trimotor in Consignments for less than $20. I think a lot of us remember building this kit when we were kids, so this was a no-brainer.

Here is some background on the Trimotor: It was designed by the Stout Metal Aircraft Company. In the early 1920s, the company sent mimeographed letters to a group of potential investors asking they each contribute $1000 to the company. The company made one promise in the letter: "For your one thousand dollars you will get one definite promise: You will never get your money back." Henry Ford and his son Edsel each contributed $1000. In 1925, Ford bought out Stout and became the sole owner of the company. Stout had plans for a trimotor airliner called the 3-AT. A prototype was built and tested, and found to be underpowered. The plane was redesigned and new, higher power engines were added, becoming the first production model, the 4-AT. A 5-AT model eventually followed. The plane became a success as an airliner, as well as finding its way into the American military, the RCAF, and several other foreign air forces. It was also used for mapping, surveying, and fire fighting. In addition to carrying passengers for the airlines, they served as corporate airplanes for several oil and industrial companies. This rugged plane could be equipped with either wheels or skis. The Trimotor was built from 1926 to 1933.

This plane had a relatively short, but interesting, history. Pan American Airlines had a number of these planes, and opened many of their South American and Caribbean routes using the Trimotor. Both Charles Lindberg and Amelia Earhart flew the Ford. Commander Richard Byrd flew the trimotor and was the first person to fly directly over the South Geographic Pole. A Trimotor also has the distinction of being the first plane to carry a cow that was milked inflight. Franklin Roosevelt used a Trimotor for his 1932 political campaign, one of the first politicians to use a plane in a political campaign. A military Trimotor was used in 1942 to evacuate soldiers from Bataan in the Philippines. These flights continued until the plane was destroyed on the ground by Japanese aircraft. Although the Trimotor's career was relatively short, it made a big impact on the airline industry by making passenger flights common, inexpensive, and relatively safe.

This kit has almost as much history as the actual aircraft. It was first marketed in 1956. The Heritage Edition of this kit, which I have, was marketed in 1983. The history of the kit is actually included in the instructions, which is kind of cool.

I wanted to use this kit as a canvas for some painted markings using stencils that I would make on my wife's die cut machine. The markings I could find were all sort of plain, and also very small in this scale. I considered US Navy or Marine markings, and then considered RCAF markings. In the end, I was inspired by the fact that this plane was used as a aerial delivery system for water being dropped on forest fires. I decided to put some hypothetical markings on a plane used for forestry or fire fighting.

This plane is very simple and comprises only a few parts. I started by spraying the interior of the plane black. I noticed that the cockpit area has a "shelf" that might be handy for scratchbuilding a cockpit. We'll see if that materializes. I glued the wings together. There was lots of flash to clean up, as you might expect with a kit this old. I plan to try and clean up the corrugations on the leading and trailing edges of the wing, which will probably take a while.

Well, that's about it for now. More tomorrow. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

This is a fantastic historical kit, George @gblair
    Looking at those images brings back memory.
    I didn't build this one but I can imagine that it will be great to do so.
    Would love to see it on skis.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

What a fantastic entry, my friend @gblair!

I love old kits, let alone seeing them built by a modeler with amazing skills as you are! You have already made progress and I cannot wait to see this corrugating beauty taking shape. Creating your own masks and coming up with an out of the norm camo is pretty cool!

Thanks for the historical details of this iconic plane.

Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I remember getting that when it was first released, as a present for successfully escaping elementary school.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten), and Tom (@tcinla). When I was looking around yesterday, I found a diagram of the Trimotor with twin floats, as well as wheels and skis. I think I will probably stick to wheels, but skis would be interesting. I remember building this kit with skis when I was a kid , and I built the dog sled and had it sitting next to the model. It wasn't long before I started losing the dogs, and eventually the sled disappeared. I suspected my mother sent them to oblivion while dusting, but who knows?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 6 months ago:

@gblair - Moms have a lot of 'splainin' to do about the results of their dusting. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great pick, George. I built one in the Island Airways scheme in the 70s. I actually remember being very pleased with that kit. Have fun!

• Profile Photo

You are right, Tom (@tcinla). There was a lot of stuff that would get swept up in that dusting rag. Thanks, John (@j-healy). It is hard to believe how long this kit has been around. I think most modelers who were born in the 1950s, or 1960s, or 1970s have probably built this kit.

• Profile Photo
    Phillip Friddell said 2 years, 6 months ago:

That's a great one to build, George; a classic in so many ways. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one comes out!
    phil

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

George, @gblair
    This one is a trip down memory lane for sure. I remember building mine in the mid 70's. It was the red, white and blue "Island Airways" edition. In the end, I painted mine in an overall aluminum color, because I couldn't get the paint to behave while I was "attempting" to brush paint the model. I was very fortunate many years later to watch Kermit Weeks fly his Ford at his Fantasy of Flight museum. It was quite a sight (and sound) to see in person...

Here she is as he taxied on by, in preparation for takeoff.

Now you can see her as the tail is rising up getting close to becoming airborne...

and finally she's in the air.

I almost missed this shot, because the Ford disappeared behind the parked PBY a split second later ! You can see Interstate 4 in the background where the cars are visible.

Later on this same day, he took his P-51C up for a flight and beat up the airfield pretty good. What a day ! The prop looks a little blurry in these next pictures because the engine is actually running. The shutter speed is lightning fast here.

I will definitely check back for updates.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the cool photos, Louis (@lgardner). The Trimotor is cool, as are the P-51 and the PBY. This build sure brings back memories.

• Profile Photo

I spent some time today planning what I want to do on this build. I want to add a simple cockpit, although I think it will be largely invisible once the plane is closed up. I also want to enhance some of the details that are either incorrect or soft. The first issue I tackled was the leading edges of the wings. The corrugations on the top and bottom of the wing don't match. I used a variety of tools to clean up the corrugations. It was very tedious, but I think the leading edge looks better.

I found some historic pictures of the Trimotor. I have included a few of them in this post. I forgot to write down the sites where I found the photos, so thanks to the sites for supplying the photos.

Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Phillip (@phillipfriddell). Should be fun to build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great job so far, my friend @gblair! I love what you did, in order to tidy up the corrugations' discrepancies: they look waaaay better now. (Being repetitive, but cannot helping it) I just love seeing old/simple/classic kits built, let alone being improved.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great start, George @gblair
    You did well on the first cleanup session, however by looking at the sprues it seems you will need some additional cleanup sessions for sure.
    Looking forward to it.