1/77 Monogram Ford Trimotor 4-AT

Started by George R Blair Jr · 67 · 2 years ago · 1/77, Ford Trimotor, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This build is plodding slowly toward painting and completion. I masked and glued the canopy onto the fuselage. Previous dry-fitting had shown that there would be some large gaps and some ill-fitting areas to take care of. I really like Perfect Plastic Putty for filling and shaping areas around the canopy. If you haven't used it before, it is an thick acrylic putty with with a consistency similar to thick butter. Once you get it in place, you can shape it and clean up the surrounding areas with water. The only problem is that it is a brilliant white color, so you need to be careful when filling areas around a canopy that you don't get areas of white showing through the inside of the canopy. The easiest way I have found to fix this is to mix some dark acrylic paint with the putty, and then apply it around the canopy. If there is any putty showing through the canopy, it will blend with the dark of the cockpit.

I finished mounting the new tailwheel to the rear of the fuselage and added the lower brace. Everything fit well and should be fine after the glue dries.

The last thing I did was to cut the masks for the plane's markings. The die cut machine worked flawlessly and cut a set of masks for the markings I designed for the plane. I figure I will put a primer layer on the plane to make sure everything is read to go, then it will be time to paint. I plan to try some new painting techniques, so it should be fun.

Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

What a great progress, my friend @gblair! Thanks for the info on coloring the white putty!
    This die-cut machine looks it is doing a wonderful job.
    Looking forward to you painting!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress, George @gblair
    You are making fast and beautiful progress on the Ford.
    That cutting machine is awesome, another idea to put on my Christmas wishlist.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). The die cut machines are pretty cool. I tried one of the first die cut machines my wife got several years ago and didn't like it. You had to manually set the pressure and blade depth, and I never got it to do a good job, especially on the smaller cuts. This new machine sets everything automatically and seems to work well on small things. I will know more later, since one of the things I tried was to make a stencil for the registration numbers that is only a little over a quarter of an inch in length.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Started painting today. I started with some bright aluminum from a Vallejo spray can. After that dried, I added a color stripe around the passenger windows. This stripe is present in many of the photos I have found of early trimotor airliners. I wanted to depict this plane as one that the Forestry Department obtained second-hand from an airline. In several pictures, I have noticed that the sides of the rear fuselage are sometimes discolored, I think from removing the former airlines painted name, leaving the metal darker in this area. I plan to try to replicate this.

Next, I sprayed some very diluted Tamiya Panzer Grey along some panel lines. I used masking tape to establish the line, always painting the darkened panel line toward the rear of the plane.

Last, I sprayed some Vallejo Dark Aluminum from the airbrush into the area of the nose engine.

Before I move on to the rest of the painting, I wanted to give everything a chance to get really dry and solid. I am doing a lot of masking, and I don't want to start pulling up the early layers of paint.

Hopefully I will get to some more painting this afternoon. Cheers.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Looks superb, my friend @gblair!
    Excellent NMF!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Absolutely nice and shiny, George @gblair
    Tone differences are great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I would like to take credit for the NMF, but all of the expertise is in the spray can. :o)

• Profile Photo

I just finished the most painful painting session I have had in a long time.

The first step was to add some depth to the existing NMF. I used 2 colors of Vallejo Metals sprayed in the center of panels: Dark Aluminum and Burnt Metal. After I got the look I wanted, which was pretty stark, I covered the top of the wing with Tamiya Clear Gloss. I planned to use some chipping fluid on the top of the wing, so I wanted to be sure that the various metal colors stayed where they were. Metals are notorious for pulling up with masking tape.

Once the gloss was dry, I masked off the area of the wing that would have the high vis panel. I then sprayed some AK Chipping Fluid on the forward area of the wing. Now it was time for the fun part: painting the high vis portion of the wing. At my last visit to the hobby store, I decided to try some AK 3rd Generation Paint for the panel, mainly because they had light, medium, dark, and burnt colors of orange. I had heard good things about this paint, so I didn't expect any problems. When I opened the paint, they had the consistency and feel of the original Vallejo paint. I was a little concerned because I have never successfully airbrushed the original Vallejo paint, but 3rd Gen was supposed to be different. I decided to thin the paint with AK High Compatibility Thinner, which seemed like a good plan, but as soon as the two of them hit my paint cup, they turned into thick mayonnaise. It took 20 minutes to clean the paint out of the cup, but on to attempt #2. This time I tried Tamiya X-20, which seemed to work. I started spraying the medium orange color on the plane, but only got a portion done before the airbrush stopped. I checked the paint cup and found mayo again, except this time it was also in my airbrush. So 40 minutes later, I had dismantled and cleaned my airbrush and the paint cup. Most people would have been smart enough to switch to a different paint, but I wanted to try one more time. This time I used Vallejo Airbrush Thinner, which seemed to work well. I mixed the paint 50/50 with the thinner and got three of the oranges colors sprayed. The only problem was that the airbrush tip would clog every couple of minutes. I tried various flow improving fluids to no avail. I had one more color I wanted to do, but I wasn't going to use 3rd Gen in my airbrush again. For the last color, I used Mig Orange Acrylic mixed with white, and thinned with AK High Compatibility Thinner, which worked great.

Finally done, I ran to my work bench to do the chipping, which works best when used right after applying the paint. I was worried since the painting session took almost two hours. I started by brushing water on the area to be chipped to activate the fluid, and then used a toothpick to guide the chipping a little. A stiff brush dipped in water completed the process.

I figured it would take 30 or 40 minutes to complete the painting and the chipping, but it took over two hours. Like I said, "Best laid plans...". Anyway, next step is to try the masks for the markings that I cut on my wife's die cut machine. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

George, @gblair
    On some days it seems like everything works perfectly, and then on other days not so much. I think we can all relate to what you experienced today. However, you persevered, and the final orange paint looks well worn, just like you wanted. Sometimes air brushes can be SO frustrating, especially when they clog up !

Something you said in an earlier post caught my attention tonight. You had mentioned how a build like this would have taken you about 30 minutes when you were a kid... boy did that sink home ! I can remember building kits using tube glue and getting fingerprints on everything ! Clear parts would often end up smudged too. When I first started building, I didn't have a modeling knife or even a razor blade to cut the parts off the plastic sprues. So I would twist or snap them off... and as you can imagine many small parts became instant junk...

Now we all seem to have slowed down some, and we take our time when working on a model kit. Not to mention that we often have a bunch of cool tools to use for building at our disposal, that would have been impossible in our earlier years.

That cutting machine you have seems to be the ticket... I'm going to ask Santa nicely, and hopefully he can bring me a nice punch set too.

It has been a while since I have stopped by, and you have made some wonderful progress. Stay safe my friend, and will be watching for your next update.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). I'm looking forward to trying the masks I made on this plane. It seems like the older I get the more I want to build kits that take me back to the "old days". I am trying to reduce the number of kits I am building, since I am still waiting for our new house to get done and I don't want to build a bunch more built kits. We have our fingers crossed that we will close on the house around Christmas, but the builder continues to have problems getting some items. Right now, there are shortages with plumbing items, some lighting items, and some other stuff. We had planned to leave the old fridge with the old house and get a new one, but it is hard to get new fridges right now, so we may have to move the old one.

I have been saving a couple of German planes to build for the group, but I don't know if I will get to them. Anyway, thanks for stopping by. Stay safe. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

You went through some challenging times, but perseverance paid off, my friend @gblair!
    What a great result!
    Love the chipping, too!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Very challenging steps, George @gblair
    The chipping looks awesome, so indeed, the hours spent on this step really paid off.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros @fiveten) and John (@johnb). After a step like this, I usually wait a day or two to get a little distance and perspective on what I did. That way I can see the model with fresh eyes. When it comes to weathering and chipping, I tend to go too far, so I try to stop before I think I should and step away for a while. My judgment is usually better after a break. I plan to try the homemade masks this afternoon or tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great progress on this, George. I agree with your views on weathering. Like you, I do a little bit at a time so as not to overdo it. Fresh eyes give new perspective the next day.