1/77 Monogram Ford Trimotor 4-AT

Started by George R Blair Jr · 67 · 2 years ago · 1/77, Ford Trimotor, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, John (@j-healy). There was a time when I could multi-task and burn the candle at both ends, but those days have slipped away. As I am getting older, I find there is less energy in the battery than there used to be.

• Profile Photo

I wanted to start with a small experiment to test out the masking. The rudder is separate, so I figured I could try the procedures there first. The rudder had already been painted and chipped, and ready to go. Some of the photos I had found of forestry and fire-fighting planes had a small registration number on the rudder, as well as a larger single digit number. You often see fire fighting planes with these large numbers to use as identification by firefighters during forest fires. The stencil for the large number looked crisp and clean, but I was surprised to find the smaller numbers (about 2 mm) were also cleanly cut. One thing I would do different here would be choose other numbers for the registration. In the small number "4" of the registration, there is a triangle that is separate from the rest of the number and needs to be put in position manually. These numbers are so small that it isn't practical to move this extremely tiny piece. It would have been simple to choose numbers that didn't have this interior piece.

Next thing learned was to use low tack stencil material. I had both, but didn't think about using low tack until after I had cut the stencils. The masks are sticky enough that they pull up some of the orange paint. Low tack might have solved this. For the wings, I sprayed on another clear layer over the orange to prevent this.

I wanted to use very dilute paint for the numbers, but it seemed to work better to use a thicker mix. I have been surprised throughout this build that there hasn't been any paint bleed with all the masking over the corrugations, and I didn't want to temp fate with hyper-thin paint.

Everything looked good after I pulled the tape and stencils off the model. After lunch, I plan to spray the rest of the stencils, providing the new clear layer is dry. So far, so good. :o) Cheers.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

This is really looking great, George @gblair
    I was expecting more underspray because of the wavy rudder surface, but no underspray is visible.
    Very nice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I really expected to have some bleeding under the tape and masks, but nothing so far. Really happy about that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Looking really great, my friend @gblair! Excellent airbrushing skills!
    Yep, ultra thin paint might not have worked well here, all is good!
    Love the stencils you created!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). This is truly an experiment, so we can see what works.

• Profile Photo

I got the larger stencils placed and painted. There were three large stencils: registration numbers on the right wing both above and below, plus one large stencil for its "Forestry" service. The small interior of the letters were easy to place. The only problem I had was trying to line up the letters and numbers on the wing, but it seemed to go well. The mask is a stretchy plastic, so you really have to be careful if you reposition the mask not to stretch it out of shape. I tried to hold the airbrush perpendicular to the mask when painting to minimize the chance of bleeding, but there wasn't any. The only paint issue I had was that the masks pulled up a little of the orange paint in a couple of places. Luckily I had already planned on having chipped paint, so it fits right in. For the paint, I used some Tamiya Black thinned with about 30% with Tamiya X-20, then added some blotches of Tamiya German Gray thinned the same. You really can't see the blotches on the paint, so I plan to do a little magic using artist oils. For now, time to let the paint dry and I will go and breathe a sigh of relief. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Yep, turning out magnificently, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). It is doing well in its role as a canvas to experiment on.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

This is such a great result, George @gblair
    Very nice to be able to create your own masks like that.
    Airbrushing works very well, pity about loosing some paint, but that will be corrected nicely.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). One of those happy accidents.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I like this plane from Indiana Jones movie 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 6 months ago:

That is some remarkable finish work on this bird. It's really going to be a good looking bird from what is really a primitive kit. I love your paint work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, @lis and Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I am big fan of Indiana Jones movies, and I like all of the planes that were in the movies. This was meant to be a pallet to try some new techniques, so I think it was put to good use.

• Profile Photo

I am calling this one "Done". I had a marathon weathering session that lasted a couple of hours, using artist oils, Vallejo, AK, and Mig weathering fluids, Tamiya panel liners, and some chalk pastels. I was having so much fun that I just kept going. I added some circular exhaust collectors on the two outboard engines that I made out of some 1mm round lead. As I figured, you really can't see anything in the cockpit. I used Microscale Krystal Klear on the cabin windows, and they came out really clear. I am posting one picture here, the rest in Headlines. Thanks for following along with the build. Everyone stay safe. Cheers.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.