1:24 Scratch built South African Air Force Dassault Mirage F1 AZ No. 217

Started by Adrian Starling · 63 · 3 years ago · 1/24, Mirage F1 AZ, scratch built
  • Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Many thanks John, hope you are well!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Really superb work here Adrian. You're definitely "flying wing" with Marc Barris.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Tom, your words mean a lot and I appreciate it! Marc’s work is superb and I am anticipating his next P166 Albatross update! The F105 is looking great and I will be looking out for Downtown!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Excellent job indeed, my friend @adrianstarling!
    This cockpit is wonderful, seat included (love those rivets, as they contrast to the black seat color - like in reality).
    Your flyboy is wonderul, too: full of life!
    This is a superb job and it still is beyond my wildest imagination that i am watching asuperbly coming along 1/24 F.1!

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Many thanks Spiros, the build is really enjoyable and hopefully keeps the wonderful memories of this iconic aircraft alive! Thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

A master craftsman at work. This is Museum quality work Adrian. Your dedication to detail will pay lots of dividends in the end!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Morne, I really appreciate your encouraging words! Thank you.

• Profile Photo

Another Retrospective update - Fuselage intakes and cones. You will notice that the SAAF intake cones were very different to the standard F1 variants - images attached. They were much longer and sharper and this was due to better airflow in the hotter climes down south! Enjoy

28 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Speechless, Adrian.
    Never knew there were different cones used.
    Incredible to see how you are able to create those perfect fitting scratch build parts.
    For me creating a perfect fit out of the box is already an achievement 🙂

• Profile Photo

Many thanks John, really appreciate your interest and regular support. The cones were specific to the SAAF on both the CZ and AZ variants. Good drawings definitely help getting parts correct but still a lot of sanding and regular test fitting.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Wow, different "souris", my friend @adrianstarling!

Yes, the difference is very noticeable! I had no idea two types of F.1 shock cones existed. I live and learn and thanks for sharing this info.

The F.1 was quite sensitive in hot weather, using quite a bit of the runway to takeoff, I may say. Also sensitive to startup upon wind coming from 6 o'clock: upon startup, we would use some big blocking covers, kind like road signs, to block the exhaust, so outside air would not flow backwards and kill the struggling engine during startup...Upon 30-35% N (by ear...) the poor sign holder would assume that the startup went ok and would take the "start assistant" away... 🙂

You are doing an absolutely spectacular job there.

Count me being speechless, as well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

That is some interesting info Adrian. I suppose the tip would have some sort of release in order to get to the canopy emergencyrelease panel? As usual some great retrospective stuff!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, you are so right on start-up and roll! We were lucky with still conditions but extremely warm OAT of around 40 degrees. A pic to share a start in the bush! Many thanks for your kind words and regular support!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You are right Erik, an Allen key at the ready! Many thanks for your encouraging words, much appreciated!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for sharing the stunning pic, Adrian!