1/32 HB P-61 Black Widow

Started by Brian Scott · 15 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Major sections glued and cleaned. The gluing of the boom and wings fit is awesome ! This kit has been a blast to work on. Wing to boom fit is excellent . NO filler required then a little bit on bottom wing root area area. I used a hollow brass tube to strengthen wing and airframe so wing don't droop . Small rod in front and large in back. The holes was not drilled level. Just a little off from being even. But everything looks aligned when taped together. I went a head and glued the one wing to let airframe and same for other side.

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo

Gun controls seats complete. Thought the controls was going to be hard to glue but was pretty easy. 40 parts for those little seats and lots of detail . Still more to come folks ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo

Crew ladder and nose gear bay complete . Still more interior work and soon ready for basic cockpit color .

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo

I been looking at this at Hobby Town for a long time. Took it home on Weds . Already started , tail radio area so far has 74 parts. By the time the cockpit is complete it will be over 100 parts for the interior. This kit has been a blast to work on. Only issue is the vinyl oxygen hose will not glue to the plastic so i will have to figure that out . I tried to use the kit photo etch framing parts that shelve the equipment . Had bad luck with part not bending good and breaking. I even had a tool to help bend the parts and did not work out. So i decided to go the rout using styrene which i has always had better luck at .

๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo

Well started on the airframe and got side walls installed. Scratch built some throttles. Lots more to still come . The total amount of parts for front and rear gunner seats is 36 parts. This cockpit will have over 130 + parts for the office when done. I love a kit that has this much detail ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Nice big kit, this one. I've seen three or four at shows and even though ...er... Black... there's ample opportunity to weather it as something distinctive.

Good job so far.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo

1/32 HB P-61

with True Detail reain wheels. I am very very impressed with the TD resin wheels. Just takes some sanding to get the hubs to fit the tires. And little drilling of hob and sanding on strut wheel shaft for wheels to fit. I am really glad I bought them Major improvement over kit wheels . Highly recommended ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Brian, wow- a very impressive build so far,correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember seeing pictures of these in OD instead of the usual overall black which we associate with these aircraft.
    Cheers N.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Cadenhead said 9 years, 7 months ago:

So is this going to be 'done' by the Hobby Town contest? Maybe the ConAir contest?

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looks kinda big..
    Will follow this one.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Agree with your views on the TD wheels - they are much better than the kit offerings. The only beef I have with them is that some of them tend to be just a little too flat, making it look like the airplane is overloaded or the tire is underserviced! Good progress so far, Brian.

Neil, the earlier model P-61's were delivered in the OD over gray, mostly the "A" models, I think. The black came a little later.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Mรผller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Nice progress with nice detailing, i guess it is huge. Keep up the good work, i will "stay tuned"

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Is that a giant piece of lead or steel at the front of the cockpit (with what looks like another sheet under the floor), and is it included in the kit? This might have to go in my small collection of 1/32 kits! Can't wait to see her done!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 3 months ago:

I, too, will be looking forward to this one as you progress...looks to be a fine build. I have the Monogram 48th offering and it was finished in OD over gray rather than black. What paint scheme do you plan on doing with yours..?