1/32 Messerschmitt Bf-109G6-AS

Started by Tolga ULGUR · 32 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I decided to use Hasegawa's Bf-109 G10 as a base kit. It needs some backdating issues to convert it to G6-AS.
    I started with the cockpit components as usual.
    Cockpit set is from MDC. It s painted to RLM 66.
    After some weathering it s ready to install inside the fuselage.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Tolgar, the interior looks great. Can't wait to see the finished model- I really enjoy looking at your work. I was wondering if Has kit accurately reproduces the the smoothed engine fairings with the left side being more bulged to accommodate the larger supercharger used on the DB 605 A (Sonder) engines. This area in addition to the lack of the larger oil cooler and wide cord props seems to be the big bug in most of the G-5/6 AS kits produced. Hopefully these areas will not be a major rework for you...

Cheers,

Erich

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the information Eric
    I am not a Bf-109 expert but If my eyes not mistaken ıt seems that left side is a little more bulged than the right side in Hasegawa sprues.(the same sprues on Hasegawa s G14-AS kits). If you have detailed pictures or drawings for sharing I can check them..

• Profile Photo

Bulges on the front sides of the fuselage are deleted by using sandpaper .

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi again, I'm not a 109 "experten" either! I'm looking for a good top view profile for the G5/6-AS to post so you can see the subtle asymmetrical bulges in the area around the left and right cannon breaches and left supercharger area The problem with using the G-10 kit is that the the G5/6-AS did not have the prominent bulges on the front of the lower cowling (I think that these were for extra coolant capacity) seen on some G-14 AS and some (depending on the manufacture) G10's . Basically, in typical German fashion during the War, It gets convoluted; the 109 was built at Messerschmitt Ag Regensburg, (Mtt Reg.), Erla Maschinenwerk GmbH in Leipzig (Erla), Weiner Neustadt Flugzeugwerke GMbH in Wiener Neustadt (WNF) and later in the War starting with the G-10, at the Diana Works in Tisnov. Further complicating the building of a specific AC is the fact that sub assemblies and components were manufactured in numerous small plants all over Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia. This means that different tail assemblies and Galland Hube were used...Getting a head ache yet?! Hopefully this is of help and not an annoyance to you...A Great reference for all of this is

BF 109 Late Versions Camouflage and Marking by Krzysytof W. Wotowski, White (Rainbow) Series No 9110 Mushroom Model Productions. www mmpbooks.biz. Now back to digging up those photo...

• Profile Photo

Here is what I could dig up- omitting the front bulges looks good! I have tail and Galland hood details if you want them. I'm currently building a K-4 and it's driving me crazy because depending on the manufacturer, the paint scheme and tail will be different!

Best,

Erich

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks again for the pictures and additional information.

I ve added the picture (let say profile) of my G6AS project. Initial point was not a "I have to built a 109G6 AS. But I loved the profile and after some research (Now I understand that this is not sufficient) I decided to built it .

My reference drawings are from KAGERO Monograph Bf109 G/K Vol3 and unfortunately drawings of G6-AS are not indicating right and left side cowling shape correctly.

So I don't know sanding a little right side cowling can fixe the shape.Maybe I will continue as it is.

I think there will be no problem for the tail section by using G10 parts with early style tail wheel..

Regards

PS. Krzysytof W. Wotowski s book noted for near future purchase.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I'm glad the info was of some use to you. Sometimes a build just needs to be done to Your own liking, as in this case. Heck 99% of the people looking at the finished model wouldn't know what to look at to say "hey wait a minute..." Look forward to more progress reports
    Best
    Erich

• Profile Photo

The fuselage halves went together including the cockpit .
    Now its turn of the wings. Some fine tuning needs for the wheel well area.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 10 years, 7 months ago:

that ip is very impressive Tolga, are those the kit supplied decals?

• Profile Photo

Decals on Instrument panels are from "Model design Construction".
    This is D32002 Luftwaffe Instrument dials set.

• Profile Photo

Fuselage assembly mostly completed.
    Oil cooler replaced by an earlier one from my spare box.
    It needs some surgery or sanding operations to be able having an accurate view of G6 AS asymmetrical cowling. Hope that now, it looks like an AS cowling.
    Horizontal tail surfaces are from Master details #32021.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Always admire your building pace. I'll be looking forward to see it painted!

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Painting process continues regarding the reference picture .
    Lower surfaces painted to black. Upper surfaces painted to RLM 74/75.
    And now it s turn of the mottling and the other details etc..

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 10 years ago:

Painting terminated, now ready to accept decals .