1/32 Tamiya Spitfire "Polish Fighting Team"

Started by Johannes Gerl · 31 · 9 years ago · chipping, propeller, Spitfire
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Hello!
    Starting with the propeller this time. Some paint chipping to have it worn and badly used, realized with the salt method. I found the first approach with the very strong chippings a bit exaggerated though (pic 0005), so I made another one more subtly (0006 and 0007). Hope you like.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Great start Halvar. I'll be watching your Spitfire progress, I presume its the Mk IX?

• Profile Photo

Jep, Gregor. Mk. IXc.

• Profile Photo

Dear reader,
    the engine is finished.

To achieve the slight metallic shine of the Merlin (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/RollsRoyce_Merlin_23.jpg) a flat black base coat, dry brushed aluminum and gunmetal pigments, a semi gloss clear coat and finally dark grey oil washes were used. An additional brown wash suggests some sand and dry rust as it might have occurred by using and maintaining the aircraft out in the desert (see first picture).

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great pics, and nice progress. I always wanted to see one of these 1/32 Tamiya Spits build up, so keep up the good work and keep us posted.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks, Gregor.
    Here you go with the engine subassembly.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Your showing a lot of talent here. Keep these pictures coming.

• Profile Photo

I agree with Al - fine work. Theres loads of detail In this Tamiya kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Al & Gregor.
    And here comes the cockpit.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice work Halvar, looks like its so far so good!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Great attention to detail Halvar. It's amazing how good paintwork can bring out an areas features.

• Profile Photo
    Juan Benitez said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, Halvar!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Your off to a wonderful start Halvar, looks like a fun to kit to build so far. Your attention to detail pays off. Good pic's also. Well done on a kit I have not seen in a WIP before. Looking forward to see how this goes.

• Profile Photo

Dear all,

step by step getting there ...

I'm used to gluing the the fuselage and wing halfs together with quite some cement on both sides, hoping to get the styrene welded rather than just glued. Didn't really work here completely due to some significant gap showing up behind the cockpit area, though normally you can't complain about Tamiya in terms of precision.
    Some white "Tamiya Surface Primer" put it right. Great product ... kind of liquid putty applied with the brush. Please note the panel lines that have been re-cut in the plastic after sanding the joint.

I normally try to avoid base coats as I fear that they cover parts of the incredible surface detail of today's kits. I decided to use a white base coat straight out of the can at this aircraft nevertheless as I plan to realize some special pre-shading effects later on.

Hope you like.

• Profile Photo

And here come the pics.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.