1/32 Tamiya Spitfire "Polish Fighting Team"

Started by Johannes Gerl · 31 · 9 years ago · chipping, propeller, Spitfire
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Good work Halvar. Maybe the gaps are too big in 1/32nd to melt.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good! I need to get me some of that Tamiya surface primer - looks like good gear. Does it take a lot of sanding down after its dried?

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Gregor. No, it doesn't. It handles like normal, a little thick paint when you brush it on.
    That means that compared with putty it's much easier to get the material on the model that you really want and therefore less sanding to take away the excess.

• Profile Photo

Self made spray masks. 🙂

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That looks outstanding. I have tried to cut circular masks but have not been able to get a clean edge. How did you do it? Does it have something to do with the last picture?

• Profile Photo

Yes, Al. That is the tool I used. My dictionary says, the English word for it is hole punch. I have them in many different diameters.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Hey Al, What you need is a compass cutter. X-acto and Olfa are two companies that make them and they are available in Micheals, A.C. Moore, or any art supply store. They are adjustable so you can vary the diameter of the circle and they can also cut through thin sheet plastic. Best part is, they cost less than ten dollars.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Seamus. I had heard of those but I think it time to go find one. Sounds like a trip to Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 years, 9 months ago:

The Spitfire IX did not have a metal prop. It was wood, known as "Jablo." You need to repaint the prop, none of them ever showed much dinging, being wooden.

HTH

• Profile Photo

Also, the photos you are using for reference are Spitfire Vs. There are a number of photos of the actual PFT airplanes. You might also want to check my review (done with the PCM kit) here at Modeling Madness.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/tmc32spit9.htm

• Profile Photo

Dear Tom,

I feel much attracted by the idea of making an historically correct model of an individual aircraft. After many years of absence in modeling, however, I'm first trying to re-gather experience and skills in the basic crafts.

That's why I'm currently especially interested in learning to realize typical wear patterns such as bleaching, paint chipping, corrosion ... The pictures I collected in the web are supposed to visualize how aircraft show weathering under certain conditions in certain environments. Now I'm trying to adapt them as good as possible in 1/32 and I'm using this platform to share experiences with others hoping to get feedback and learn about how to improve. Paint chippings were on my list.

• Profile Photo

That's good and those photos are good for that. The photos of the actual PFT Spitfires are even better. I do hope you'll coprrect the props (really simple, just paint them black again) because technical accuracy in getting a finished product is as important as color accuracy.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I'm not qualified to comment on the prop's finish, Halvar, but your craftmanship is looking great so far, keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks, George.
    Here come the final previews, it's almost done.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.