Started by Mike Norris · 101 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Excellent progress, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 year ago:

Hi all,
    The cockpit rigging is underway.
    'Proper Plane' 1:32nd scale resin turnbuckles, 0.04 mm diameter tube and 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament.
    The rudder, elevator and aileron lines are just tube as the cockpit space is a bit restricted to fit turnbuckles.
    I still need to add fuel tank and oil supply modifications, but won't have that information until next week.
    So in the meantime I'll make a start on the figures,

Mike

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

This is really superb, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo

Amazing, Mike @sandbagger
    Clearly a steady hand required.

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    I've made a start on adding oil and fuel pipe details into the forward area of the fuselage.
    The kit fuselage halves have access panels into this area of the fuselage, but they are moulded as part of the fuselage.
    Therefore the kit does not supply any of these details as if built as supplied, this area of the fuselage is not visible.
    However, I'm having at least one of these access panels open, so the inside of the fuselage will be seen.
    First to be tackled are the oil pipes for engine lubrication.
    I believe the oil system was as follows:

On earlier Bristol Scouts, the oil tank was located in the fuselage at the rear of the pilots cockpit.
    A supply pipe from the tank was routed along the cockpit left side frame to the near the rear of the engine bulkhead.
    A pipe connected the oil supply to the oil pump reservoir.
    It seems the engine provided drive to the oil pump which I believe had a centrifugal type impeller which pumped the oil out of the pump.
    The oil was pumped back through a pipe to the oil Pulsometer, located in the cockpit.
    The glass bowl on the Pulsometer gave the pilot a visual indication of engine lubrication.
    From the Pulsometer the oil returned through another pipe and was connected to the engine crankshaft, which was partially hollow.
    The oil mixed with fuel from the simple carburettor, located on the rear of the crankshaft.
    The fuel/oil mixture was drawn through the engine crankshaft into the rotating engine to provide ignition and lubrication.
    The used fuel/oil was vented out to atmosphere through the cylinder exhaust valves.
    Hence why rotary engine heavily stained the fuselage, landing gear and wing roots so much.

The first pipe created is the connecting pipe between the side frame supply pipe and the oil pump.
    This was made using 0.3 mm diameter Brass rod and 0.5 mm diameter Brass tube.
    The rod/tube was bent to locate into holes drilled into the supply pipe and oil pump.
    It was the covered with braided black tube (‘ANYZ’ 0.5mm black braided line (AN011), then sealed at each end with thin CA adhesive.
    The excess was cut way to reveal the brass ens of the tube/rod.
    It was then secured in position using thin CA adhesive.

Next up are the pipes connecting the pump outlet to the Pulsometer and the return pipe to the engine crankshaft,

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That pipe looks very realistic, Mike @sandbagger
    I was not aware that even at these dimensions, braided tube was available.

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    The Pulsometer pipes are done.
    To extend the length of the kit pre-moulded pipes, I joined two 0.5 mm diameter Brass tubes together with thin CA adhesive.
    These were Copper colour painted.
    They were secured to the cockpit left side frame, again with the CA adhesive.
    Two lengths of 0.3 mm diameter Copper wire were annealed (softened with heat).
    These were bent to fit into the tube ends and the pre-drilled holes in the oil pump and engine crankshaft (through the opening in the crankshaft mounting plate).
    They were secured in position using thin CA adhesive.

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Excellent craftsmanship, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo

Speechless with all this detailing, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    The fuselage underside panel (C8) locates into the joined fuselage halves with two circular rings.
    As the rear of the cockpit is not closed off, the forward and larger locating ring will be visible.
    Therefore that area on the bottom of the fuselage halves is covered with a cut 0.3 mm thick plastic card.
    Once the fuselage is closed up the locator ring as well as the fuselage seam joint will be covered,

Mike

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Excellent, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo

Nice progressing, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    The cockpit assembly is rigged now.
    It has the rudder, aileron and elevator control cables.
    I've also rigged all of the frame cross bracing wires.
    These are made of blacked 0.4 mm diameter tube, 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament and 'Proper Plane' resin turnbuckles.
    Only four turnbuckles have not been fitted.
    Two below the pilots foot board assembly as they can't be seen.
    One on the outside of both cockpit side frames, also that can't be seen and also can interfere with the cockpit fit in the fuselage halves.
    The pilots instrument panel also fitted.

I still have the fuel tank and associated pipework to do (not supplied in the kit.
    Also weathering of the cockpit and inside the fuselage halves,

Mike

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

What an amazing work done, Mike @sandbagger
    This is the most detailed airframe I have ever seen.

• Profile Photo

Splendid job, my friend @sandbagger!