1:32nd scale Bristol Scout C

Started by Mike Norris · 101 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 year ago:

Hi all,
    A few modifications to the cockpit assembly.
    I've added the magneto HT lead. I've painted it red only so it can be seen inside the fuselage.
    Also a fuel tank (bottom only) with collector sump and outlet to the fuel gauge.
    The fuel system and its controls are way too lengthy to repeat here on the forum.
    However, I've detailed the fuel system in my PDF build log, which I'll post on completion of the model.
    The basic engine fuel supply is as follows:
    Sump on the fuel tank through a shut-off cock then a pipe to the fine control valve.
    From the fine control valve, through a pipe to the underside of the carburetor.

Mike

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Speechless, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Really impressive, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    A few more additions.
    The fuel contents indicator in the cockpit was the sight glass type, which was connected by a pipe to its shut-off valve under the left side of the fuel tank.
    It indicated the contents of the fuel tank using the 'U tube' principle that a fluid will find its own level.
    The pipe is attached to the fuel tank, but the cockpit end will be attached later in the build.

The tank outlet had a shut-off cock, which was operated by a push/pull control on the left side of the cockpit.
    The 'ring' handle was made from copper wire inserted into a 0.5 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube.
    The tube was bent to shape to to fit along and cockpit left side, under the instrument panels and cockpit cross members then through the opening in the crankshaft mounting plate.
    The front end has 0.3 mm diameter lead wire to represent the operating Bowden cable, which will be attached to the tank outlet later in the build.

Now it's onto the carburettor and main fuel supply shut-off cock control runs,

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Amazing detailing, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo

Amazing indeed, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    I've gone as far as I can to finish the cockpit details.
    I've added the control tubes/cables for the carburetor, shut-off valve at the fine control valve and the shut-off cock on the fuel tank supply pipe.
    Also the shut-off valve at the outlet supply from the fuel tank to the fuel contents indicator, including the interconnecting pipe.

I know, I know - don't say it.
    But for me it's the satisfaction of doing it, not so much for being able to see it afterwards.

Next up is to close up the fuselage,

Mike

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

All is amazingly well done, Mike @sandbagger
    I can imagine you are really satisfied with this result, even with everything closed up.

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    Fuselage closed up.
    Now to clean up the seams etc,

Mike

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

It is really amazing that you have replicated all internal detaling, my friend @sandbagger! The fuselage looks great closed up!

• Profile Photo

Everything nicely secured this way, Mike @sandbagger
    The fuselage did close up well.

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    A few updates.
    The lower wing and under shield are fitted.
    Care needs to taken to make sure all locating faces and recesses are clear of paint, especially the wing locating recesses in the bottom edges of the cockpit side frames.
    At this stage it's best to secure sponge blocks under the fuselage to protect the exposed control column from damage.
    The outer wheel covers have pre-moulded impressions of the wheel spokes.
    However, they are pronounced and sharp, so need to be scrapped or sanded to soften them back.
    The kit supplied axle seems a little weak and flexible.
    I cut off the bungee cord suspension units from each end of the axle.
    Then drilled holes of 1.2 mm diameter through the units.
    The axle was cut from 1.2 mm diameter Brass tube and 49 mm long, in order to fully locate into the internal wheel spigots.
    The wing ailerons were drilled and pinned to allow them to be positioned,

Mike

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Amazing progress, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo

Excellent progress indeed, Mike @sandbagger

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    As described earlier in this thread, Scout 1260 had an external starter switch on the left side of the cockpit decking panel.
    This was created from pieces of sprue.
    The gun latch for holding the Lewis machine gun vertically during reloading or un-jamming was located on the right side of the decking panel.
    This was created by cutting spare photo-etch sheet. It will be fitted to the decking panel later in this build.

Mike

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.