1:32nd scale Hanriot HD.1

Started by Mike Norris · 48 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

A perfect solution, Mike @sandbagger
    Nicely done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Indeed a great solution, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice work on this (as usual). I was thinking you could carve wooden interplane struts if those aren't strong enough.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi all,
    The decal sheet supplied in the kit covers all of the schemes.
    However, the individual decals are printed as part of the entire carrier film on the sheet.
    As such carrier film will probably show around the applied decal.
    Therefore, each decal will probably have to be cut out as close as possible to the edges of the decal, before applying to the model.
    Also, some of the decals seem to be slightly semi-translucent, meaning the painted colours underneath will show through the decals once applied.
    This is not good for a kit of this price, especially considering different painted colour schemes and the intricate shapes of the various decals.
    'Cartograph' decals these are certainly not.

Anyway, the basic French five colour camouflage scheme has been applied.
    'Tamiya' acrylics used were:
    Beige - Desert Yellow (XF59)
    Light Green - Olive Green (XF58)
    Dark Green - Dark Green 2 (XF70)/NATO Black (XF69)
    Chestnut Brown - Flat Brown (XF10)
    Black - NATO Black (XF69)
    Undersides 'Alclad' Duraluminium (ALC102) oversprayed with 'Tamiya' Light Blue (XF23).

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Excellent painting, my friend @sandbagger! Not Cartograf decals for sure 🙁

• Profile Photo

Very nice paintwork, Mike @sandbagger
    Nice camouflage scheme

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    I've applied the required decals for this particular aircraft.
    I found that as long as the decals are applied over a single colour, they do cover the painted surface under the decals.
    However, the lighter coloured decals, especially the white colour, do show the painted surface through the decal.
    This is more evident where light coloured decals are applied over contrasting coloured paints.
    I've airbrushed a clear coat over the decals to seal and protect them during handling.
    They will be airbrushed again later in the build during the weathering phase.

As the camouflage scheme is French, I painted the top of the tailplane and elevator with a base coat of 'Tamiya' Medium Blue (XF18).

The engine and engine cowl have also been fitted.
    I found that the engine propeller shaft is not long enough to clear the engine cowl to locate the propeller.
    So that's another problem to be sorted out,

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks excellent with the decals on, my friend @sandbagger, hope the "see through" effect is not that visible. Pity about the prop shaft, as you said another problem to be sorted out.

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    The propeller shaft on the engine is too short to allow the propeller to be fitted and be clear of the front of the engine cowl.
    Therefore, I cat away the propeller shaft from the engine.
    Using as a guide, the mark left from the shaft, I gradually drilled into the engine up to a size of 1.4 mm diameter.
    A length of 1.4 mm diameter Brass tube was cut and secured into the propeller locating hole, using CA adhesive.
    This allows the propeller shaft to be fitted into the engine with the propeller clear of the engine cowl,

Mike

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, Mike @sandbagger
    Those colorful camouflage scheme of WWI airplanes are great.
    Great solution for the propellor shaft.

• Profile Photo

Yes! Superb solution, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    I've replaced three of the colours as I wasn't satisfied.
    Light Green - ‘Hataka’ C093 Green (FS34258)
    Dark Green - ‘Hataka’ C301 Dark Olive Green (FS34096)
    Beige - ‘Hataka’ C060 USMC Sand
    These have yet to be weathered so will dull down slightly.

I've fitted the single, central machine gun, using a modified 'Gaspatch' 'Vickers' 11mm 'Balloon Buster', as used by Willy Coppens.
    This was p[ainted with 'Alclad' Gunmetal (ALC-120) then dry brushed with 'Mr. Colour' Super Iron 2 (SM203).

The propeller was base coated with 'Tamiya' Flat Red (XF7) and Full Red (XF19) mixed 70/30% ratio.
    Windsor & Newton’ Griffin (Alkyd) Vandyke Brown oil paint was then applied to represent the wood effect.
    The hub plates were brush painted with ‘Mr. Colour’ Stainless Steel (213) the ’AK Interactive’ Kerosene wash (AK2039).

The interplane struts were base coated with 'Tamiya' Desert Yellow (XF59).
    Windsor & Newton’ Griffin (Alkyd) Burnt Sienna oil paint was then applied to represent the wood effect.

Whilst test fitting the tail skid, it snapped in half - no surprise given the brittleness of the 3D printed parts.
    So that now needs to be addressed,

Mike

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very nice re-painting, Mike @sandbagger
    Propellor and struts do look amazing.
    Pity about the tail skid, re-printing seems like a good idea.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Awesome job continued, my friend @sandbagger! Yes, these tiny 3D prints are fragile, looking forward to your solution!

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi all,
    As I said previously, the 3D printed tail skid snapped in half while I was test fitting it
    Rather than trying to repair and use the tail skid, I decided to scratch a replacement.
    This was made using 1.4 mm diameter Brass tube and 0.5 mm diameter rod.
    The tube was flattened to an airfoil profile and reinforced internally with the rod.
    the kit supplied tail skid support frame has the bottom of the rudder post.
    This is too long as the tail skid was attached at the bottom of the support frame.
    Therefore the rudder post was shortened and a hole of 0.5 mm diameter was drilled up into the post.
    This hole was used to locate the support Brass rod on the tail skid.
    Once secured to the support frame, the 'bungee' type suspension cords were added, using 'EZ' White (heavy) stretch line.

Mike

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.