1/48 Dragon Fw-190D Work-In-Progress:

Started by Marek Halas · 32 · 8 years ago · Dragon 1/48 Fw 190D-9
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Sounds good Marek, a clean and smooth finish is the key to a perfect decal job.
    Will try them at some time

• Profile Photo
    Marek Halas said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Progress continues very slowly as I've been very busy with work, and also trying to get my Eduard Yak-3 completed (see recent WIP post on the subject and a whole load of build photos on that one.. and not a lot of commentary as I'm pushed for time, sorry about that).
    Anyway, back to Dragon's Dora: Underside paint job complete, with the painted out crosses.

• Profile Photo

Dragon's Dora topside, some paint's been added to the wing & tailplanes.
    I hope to get back to this one towards the end of the month, when I hope I can show more work.

In the mean time thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Your Dora is coming really nice along, Marek. Not too much shading but visible, spot on.
    Interesting is, that you have installed the undercarriage before the decaling, so you must be a very careful modeller, this will go probably wrong by me.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernd, I've done my usual "camera trick" of dry fitting the undercarriage for the photos..no gluing here, I'm not that careful believe me! (It's supposed to spur me along and finish these projects if the kit looks more completed than it actually is...I don't think it's working!)

• Profile Photo
    Marek Halas said 9 years, 1 month ago:

It's been a while since I've posted here, and there has been a bit of progress with the Dora:

The Green RLM 82 part of the camo pattern has been added to both wings & fuselage.

I've also sprayed in the "Soviet" colour additions, namely the AMT-11 patches covering the old German markings.

The mottling still needs to be done, which to be honest I'm struggling with on by double action Iwata Revolution.

I'll probably resort to purchasing a single action airbrush from a local supplier here in Australia. I just want something I can "dial-in" point & squirt & I just can't seem to achieve that on the Revolution HP-CR.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Beside your problems with your airbrush, you nailed the look of these captured Doras.
    The photo with the flight, warming up the engines is well known.
    Great Job, Marek 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Marek Halas said 9 years ago:

Nearly a month since the last post and there's me thinking I'd have this all done & posted by now, but no, the build drags on...

So, I've got the weathering basics done...and it's made ready for the top coat of Future prior to the Red Star decals being added.

Paint chipping done mostly with a silver pencil, which is the first time I've tried the technique.

It looks reasonably effective from a distance.

The dreaded mottling has been done on the tail. I need more practice with that technique, but it will do for now.

Exhaust stains, rust on the exhaust general wear & tear stains have also been added prior to being sealed with a topcoat of Future.

Providing there are no disasters on the way, the next batch of photos should have the red star insignia's on them. and the end of the project will almost be in sight, Whooo Hoooo!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years ago:

Good job Marek, your Dora looks very nice. A little weathering, some dark wash for the panels improves the look of your build by much.
    Should be a great and unique model of this type of aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernd. The coat of Future to the top-side went on this evening (Saturday) & I'm hoping to get the bulk of the decaling done on Monday, so more pix sometime soon after.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years ago:

Looks great Marek.

• Profile Photo
    DE4EVER said 9 years ago:

Greetings :
    Nice clean and sharp work, I'm following this one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Guys. Having finished gorging on Easter eggs today, I'm ready to do a spot of decaling on the Dora.

• Profile Photo

Decalling progress: Red star decals courtesy of Techmod's generic 1/48 set to the underside:

Techmod's red stars applied also to the wings topside, as well as the fuselage positions:

No trouble applying these as they're nice & thin & bed down well.

The stencilling is from the original decal set supplied by Dragon and I had my doubts about whether they'd be any chop.

I dipped the Dragon decals in Future once they slid off their backing paper and also applied Future to that part of the surface that the markings were going to go.

They seem to be ok, as in "they'll do".

I'm baulking at applying the walkway stencils on the wings, which some aircraft show but others do not. I'm in a bit of a quandary over this one...

So far the original kit decals have behaved and they're early 1990's vintage. Am I about to push my luck too far with applying what in effect are long thin dotted markings that may or may not have been applied on the original service aircraft?

• Profile Photo

Postscript: I ended up going for it and putting the walkway decals on the wing using Future. Decals seemed to have behaved and though it looks messy initially once fully cured (24hours) & gently polished back with a micromesh pad and re-coated it should be fine. More pix in the next couple of days or so.